Boiling Water

foodchain

If you have a small pot of boiling water and you add some cold water to it does the motion of the boiling water keep the cooler water at a boundary for a bit of time, or does the cool water instantly sink in and mingle with all of the water?

well, boiling water is highly turbulent, so the cold water would quickly be dispersed, heated up to a homogenous temperature and start boiling again.

of course, this depends on the volumes, if you have a thimble of boiling water and you unleash a firehose on it then the boiling water isn't going to stand a chance.

well, boiling water is highly turbulent, so the cold water would quickly be dispersed, heated up to a homogenous temperature and start boiling again.

of course, this depends on the volumes, if you have a thimble of boiling water and you unleash a firehose on it then the boiling water isn't going to stand a chance.

So would it be an issue of momentum too? Like if I poured from a foot of distance with a volume that would be large environmentally, compared to almost at the surface with a very small flow at the center. I just wonder if the rapid motion of the boiling water would keep the cooler water segregated for a bit of time or if the boiling motion itself would make it easier for the cooler water to move around.

Would there be a density difference between the two?

Consider pouring ink into boiling water. I would imagine that cold water poured in boiling water might behave roughly like the ink.

or just use some food coloring for the cool water

you will be able to see how well it does or doesn't mix with the boiling water.

my guess is that it will mix very fast