What we do and/or don't like about the Earth and/or the Universe and/or life

japan rocks/andromeda

I don't like the fact that within a few generations it isn't going to be big enough for us unless we start making places like the sahara habitable.

Don't fall for the malthusian fallacy.

The atmosphere makes it difficult for astronomers.

Don't fall for the malthusian fallacy.

The atmosphere makes it difficult for astronomers.

This malthusian thing, is it about the growth of population like doubling or exponential growth ? I think its quite true in general. The human population may be limited by disease and war though.

Just ranting about the topic, what we don't like about earth sometimes....

Religious people will tend to believe that advance in technology will solve all problems. Religious people don't believe in population control. ... "God wants them to have as many children as they can " or something like that. There are some countries that are so crowded and poor that the people have to go elsewhere to earn a living. This relieves the pressure in their own countries but puts stress in the foreign lands. The key is in abstinence, not taking out an unborn life. or at least some preventive measures, but pope doesn't seems to endorse the use of condoms and things like that.

However, I also seems to have the idea that for the human race to improve, more offsprings is necessary so that the better ones get selected. Its a dilemma..

The biomass is still the same, people increase, but the fish and animal populations decrease and one or two go extinct one in a while. There is no sustainablility. The resources are limited. and future wars seems inevitable.

:-(

but don't let me get you people down. I try to live my life. :)

Edited by skyhook
Consecutive posts merged.

if you don't like something about the earth you can post it here and don't think about it anymore 'cause you already let that thing out:-):cool:

It's too big and difficult to get from one place to the other. Transatlantic flights are annoying... transpacific flights are hell.

The well-known phenomenon that the sound of an alarm clock amplifies the gravity vector's normal component, making it hard to get out of bed in the morning. A poor solution to this localized effect is to place the alarm clock on the dresser on the other side of the room, away from the bed. Some historical data suggests that this phenomenon did not exist decades ago with old-fashioned wind-up alarm clocks; however, a scientific study has yet to be conducted.

i dont like that there is alot of people i mean when you think about it its kinda gross to be breathing i another persons air there should be more air and a bigger planet>:D

If you think breathing recycled air is gross, what about drinking recycled pee? The same water gets re-used over and over again in a cycle, so that glass of water from the tap is at least partly filtered dinosaur urine. And of course, all your other waste products get recycled, too. Welcome to an ecosystem. :)

If you think breathing recycled air is gross, what about drinking recycled pee? The same water gets re-used over and over again in a cycle, so that glass of water from the tap is at least partly filtered dinosaur urine. And of course, all your other waste products get recycled, too. Welcome to an ecosystem. :)
:eek:

Its not so crowded. If all six billion people were to gather into a crowd, fairly tightly packed at about six square feet per person ( about what you get in a movie theater), we could all fit into Rhode Island. Parking would be a hassle though.

:eek:

Does that really surprise you? Where did you think everything went? At least on earth it's all kind of big and there's a large delay between it leaving you and coming back - imagine how it works on the International Space Station.

Its not so crowded. If all six billion people were to gather into a crowd, fairly tightly packed at about six square feet per person ( about what you get in a movie theater), we could all fit into Rhode Island. Parking would be a hassle though.
Are you sure? Alpha says that about 20% would be pushed off to the edge.