The world will end in 2012.

dstebbins

What is the mainstream's scientific basis for believing that?

Ok, the Mayan Calendar predicts that the world will end. What is the Mayan's logical basis for making that prediction?

Does the Mayan Calendar actually give a CAUSE of the apocalypse? Or, does it just awkwardly stop in much the same way as our ability to tell history awkwardly stops at the Big Bang?

I've watched so many documentaries on this conspiracy theory, and I have not seen one of them, not one, that I couldn't poke a HUGE hole the logic of.

Specifically, why does everyone thing the world will end in 2012?

There isn't any.

Ok, the Mayan Calendar predicts that the world will end. What is the Mayan's logical basis for making that prediction?
No, it doesn't.

Does the Mayan Calendar actually give a CAUSE of the apocalypse? Or, does it just awkwardly stop in much the same way as our ability to tell history awkwardly stops at the Big Bang?
It just awkwardly stops the way the Gregorian calendar awkwardly stops at December 31st.

2012_960.gif

Normally I'd not believe that the world will end in December 2012, but November 2012 is when the US elections take place, and word is that Sarah Palin's running for president.

Even if that happens, and even if she wins, she won't take office until January 2013.

But, I doubt that Palin will run. Considering how horribly she did as Republican VP candidate, having her run for the real thing would kill what little motivation the Republicans have gotten from Obama's faux pas.

I've watched so many documentaries on this conspiracy theory, and I have not seen one of them, not one, that I couldn't poke a HUGE hole the logic of.

Specifically, why does everyone thing the world will end in 2012?

I'd say there could have been two primary scientific premises for believing such (none belonging to be discussed in the physics forum):

1. Technological advancement became out of control

2. Resources become so scarce that society feuds

Technological advancement has become out of control, but it's availability to the general public and the ability for the general public to moral decision about it isn't there. It's one of those things that have been concealed. How many people really understand cell differentiation with stem cells?

Resources are not that scarce yet. Give the world about 30 more years, and perhaps they will become more scarce than before. And then there would be death and pestilence. Typical biological species counter such things, though. So, in general, there wouldn't be a destruction of the human race.

At best, if someone made a grey-goo bot, flung it out in a field, and allowed it to deconstruct the world, yeah, the world would end. From what I understand, it's impractical for the world to end. Maybe if a black hole generator got out of hand, then there would be some serious problems.

Edited by Genecks

about the technology thing...ii wonder what would happen if a computer who knew it wasn't human had a human conscience...itd prolly figure out how to make moves behind the scenes...being scared of being killed n all

about the technology thing...ii wonder what would happen if a computer who knew it wasn't human had a human conscience...itd prolly figure out how to make moves behind the scenes...being scared of being killed n all

Depends on what it learns while being developed and what it is programmed to try to achieve.

If it's just trying to expand and grow, it may find it much more efficient to just start mining an uninhabited planet or moon, providing that it has the resources.

Or it may try to slowly and peacefully influence the global culture in a way that would cause humans to become more open-minded and peaceful.

there's no real definition as to how an A.I. would act, because we have no way of knowing how closely the A.I. will emulate a human. But as long as the A.I. can empathize and understand the perspectives of humans, it shouldn't turn out to be like SkyNet unless we force it.

I heard 2012 is going to be like Y2K but times a billion!!!!!

From what I remember 2000 was a legitimate concern, because computers did not have the software to register the year as more than just two digits. Essentially though, nothing happened that was globally disastrous, so if 2012 is a billion times that, it would still mean nothing would happen that is globally disastrous.

From what I remember 2000 was a legitimate concern, because computers did not have the software to register the year as more than just two digits. Essentially though, nothing happened that was globally disastrous, so if 2012 is a billion times that, it would still mean nothing would happen that is globally disastrous.

yeah i was trying to be funny... I suppose I failed

I dunno. If 2012 is a billion times 2000, I don't know if my cousins will have enough space in their basement to store all the canned goods they'll stock up on.