Wondering whats at the core of our planet and sun.

mia4ever

Hi everyone,

As foolish as this might sound, I have to say I am wondering if whatever is at the core of our earth is what our sun is made up of as well. I have heard scientists speculate that the earth's core is the source of gravity. Can I safely say that our sun's source of gravity can be found at it's core? which brings me to the next question, can there be two or more different sources of gravity or can there just be one universal source of gravity?

Please do ignore this post if you find it rather nonsensical :) Appreciate your replies whatever it may be.

-Mia

The sun, (including its core) is made up of hydrogen and helium (hydrogen changing to helium in a thermonuclear reaction

sunsect.jpg

The Earth's outer core is made from molten iron I believe (Generating a magnetosphere)

Its inner core being solid.

EARTH_STRUCTURE.jpg

Generally speaking, all normal matter is a/the source of gravity. Whether it be a planetary core, stella core; planet or sun as a whole. If there is matter - i.e. stuff- there is gravity. the more stuff there is; the more gravity, and the closer one is to said stuff; the more gravity is felt.

"Can there be more than one source of gravity?"

Yes. e.g. The bottle of Les Beauchamp Sauvignon Blanc sat in front of me is a source of gravity, as is the glass of wine next to it. Although their gravitational effects are too weak to be noticed by me.

I do however notice the effect of the earth's gravity, pulling me down into my seat. The Earth being of much greater mass than the wine bottle.

The illustration below shows how each body of mass has its own gravitational field as it bends space/time around it.

86046736.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=8A33AE939F2E01FF320E215373A6802951F25698B54BEE03B6D089C9D45BF477

The above is just a quick overview of the topics you've raised.

There are many highly qualified individuals on SFN who can probably explain things in more detail and to a greater degree of accuracy.

p.s.

First post I see... And in no way nonsensical. One can only learn by either questioning or doing things.

Welcome to SFN

Edited by tomgwyther

"I have to say I am wondering if whatever is at the core of our earth is what our sun is made up of as well."

The sun is a mass of hydrogen gas .. nothing else .. A vast , huge ball of hydrogen gas ..

All the billions of stars, of which our sun is one, have that on characteristic in common, they are all made of hydrogen gas. Big masses of hydrogen gas,

The most common element in the universe.

From the outer envelope to the deepest center, hydrogen..with some increasing amounts of helium.

In this universe, all mass creates an "attraction" for other masses..

The inner molecules of this huge volume of hydrogen gas molecules exert gravitational attraction to the outer molecules which is so great, that the inner most hydrogen molecules are squeezed together, fuse and form helium gas ..with a small amount of mass which is converted to energy.. radiant energy, which we call "sunshine". E = MC squared worth.

" I have heard scientists speculate that the earth's core is the source of gravity

No, you did not hear any reputable geologist ever say or infer that .

Though Isaac Newton brilliantly described the relation ship between force, mass, and energy in the late 1600's, it was Einstein 200 years later who explained how it happens ..

"Gravity" is caused by a distortion, or curve, in space in direct proportion to the two , or more, masses, which are interacting with each other. The entire mass of the earth and the entire mass of the sun, for instance, not just the core of these bodies is the source of the "gravitational" effect we observe.

"Can I safely say that our sun's source of gravity can be found a it's core?"
No. You cannot. Safely or otherwise.

"can there be two or more different sources of gravity or can there just be one universal source of gravity?

Every bit of mass , no matter what size its mass may be, produces, and is a source, a "gravitational effect", in proportion to its mass.

]

Hi everyone... I am wondering if whatever is at the core of our earth is what our sun is made up of as well. I have heard scientists speculate that the earth's core is the source of gravity.

-Mia

Welcome aboard Mia. Yes the Earth is made of the same material the Sun is made of. This stuff is "cooked" hydrogen and helium and a few other light elements, from other stars that went supernova Billions of years ago creating all the elements we find natually on Earth, including gold and diamonds. WE ARE star stuff, everyone, all matter on Earth and the Sun, and everything else in our solar system.

(Questions for anyone: How many supernova explosions did it take to create all the matter of our solar system? Could some of the matter in our solar system be matter from different supernovas, and/or even the original matter from the big bang that never formed a star before?)

Yes the Earth's core is A source of gravity, along with all the other matter in and on Earth. All of it, including you, is the source of Earth's gravity.

Thanks for posting those great graphics Tom.

Edited by Airbrush

(Questions for anyone: How many supernova explosions did it take to create all the matter of our solar system? Could some of the matter in our solar system be matter from different supernovas, and/or even the original matter from the big bang that never formed a star before?)

If I'm not mistaken the main theory goes that a supernova induced the collapse of an interstellar cloud that ultimately became our solar system, so that all of the matter that comprises the solar system must have come from more than one supernova. How many may be impossible to say.

By the way, the earth's core is made of rich, creamy caramel nougat, not molten iron, as many suspect.

Thanks Shakes. So it took at least 2 supernovas (at least), one to create the elements found here, and the second to push that cloud of enriched matter (gas and dust, and pebbles, boulders, all the elements we know of) to come together to form a solar system.