Should I fast for passover?

ecoli

I tend towards agnosticism these days. For the first time in my life, I'm considering not fasting for passover (this basically involves not eating leavened bread products, though the rules are much more complicated).

Is it worth following cultural tradition based on religious principles you might not agree with? Perhaps even to test your self discipline and the Buddist/hindu concept of avoiding attachments.

I know it's just a week, and why not give up something that's really not that hard to do (putting things into perspective) especially since i've been doing it my whole life anyway.

Before you answer, keep in mind that beer isn't kosher for passover.

Let's put things in perspective here -- it's not really fasting, it's "not eating bread" and "not eating anything with flour or anything that rises".

That said, I consider myself jewish by culture and I don't follow this particular custom. I do celebrate passover night with family, but I don't follow the 'partial-fasting' issue. However, as ecoli probably knows, it's a bit different for Jews that grew up in Israel (where the Jewish identity is clearer, and you feel less "obligated" to do some of the customs), and it's different for jews who grew up outside of Israel, in the diaspora, in places where the Jewish identity is defined by more customs.

Bottom line, ecoli, it's up to you. I think the Jewish identity is defined by what you feel more than by what you do, that's what I feel. I do feel the need to follow some customs, but I do that more for cultural reasons (I'm not religious in the least), so my judgment as to what I follow comes from a balance of culture-vs-comfort. I honor the holiday by eating Matzoh, by doing the Sedder, by reading the Hagaddah, by discussing the meaining of the holiday with my friends and family, I don't feel like avoiding bread does anything for me in that aspect.

But some people do.. it's up to you. I definitely wouldn't do it if I didn't think I gain something out of it. If it's important to you (if you think you gain something out of it -- a jewish identity, honoring the culture, or whatever else) then do it. If you don't, then find something else that will fill in that niche.

~moo

Is it worth following cultural tradition based on religious principles you might not agree with?

If you don't agree with the religious principles, then they should be irrelevant to your decision. It would be silly to specifically not do it just because somebody else's religion says they have to.

And just because it's not founded on religious belief for you doesn't mean it isn't a part of your identity. Is it a part you want to preserve, or is it irrelevant to you? And do you enjoy the tradition? Those two questions are all that matter, IMO.

For myself, I only keep up the fun parts of Christian traditions, most of which I guess are co-opted earlier traditions anyway. It makes Bill O'Reilly furious for some reason.

I'm not religious whatsoever and I practice lent every year, just to see if I can give something up for that long (and no meat on fridays)

last year was caffiene, this year was pop. You should do it just to put some variety in your daily practice, it's not like it's bad for you

can u clarify me why do u want to fast?

if its for health go ahead but if its for religion then 1st watch about yoour health. God wont be pleased to ee His children torturing themselves even while having physical problems.

What about He'brew, the Chosen Beer?

They're beer is kosher (like most other beers) but not for passover, because (like 99.99% of beer) it's made with barley. You can't eat this grain if it's been in contact with water for more than 18 minutes.

Are any products made via yeast kosher for passover? I thought one of the main things about passover was the lack of any yeast products (because they had no time to let it work as they prepare to leave Egypt).

True, matzah isn't made with yeast, but yeast fermented products aren't forbidden. As part of the seder, 4 glasses of wine are drunk (though some families stretch this tradition :P)