Setting up a vm server in a dmz?

iPeppers

Ok, I know this is more complicated than it needs to be, and I'm a huge n00b at networking, but...

I've got a domain name and want to forward it to my server, so that I can view my website (obviously), but there are some snags for me...

-I'm running windows server 2k8 on virtualbox, and I have wamp set up properly I believe, along with mediawiki, because when I am on the server and go to my ip or localhost in a browser, it works fine and I can edit, etc.!

-problem is that I am connecting through a dlink router, and my friend told me I should be putting my vm server in a dmz, but I can't figure it out :doh:

-I need other computers connected to the router, along with the host computer to not be in the dmz (only the vm server can be in the dmz).

-I found the section in my router settings in which to make a dmz, but it requires a computer's ip for that dmz, so I give it the ip of my vm server, and forward the domain name to this ip.

-Other computers still cannot connect, but now the vm server itself can connect through my domain name.

My friend said something like he thinks I may have set up the dmz with a private ip and that I need a public one and my router should supply me with one, but I have no idea how to find out what it is, or if I really did set it up with a private ip. I set it up with an ip that starts 192.168.0.xxx, is this private? How can I give it a public one?

Any help would be very appreciated!

(I realize that this seems like a backwards way to set up a server, but it is just temporary until I get a separate computer for the server.)

Right. On the local network, each computer has a 192.168.* IP. You pick out the VM and place it in the DMZ.

Now, because of NAT, every computer on the network shares the same external IP address. Once something's placed in the DMZ, it's the one that receives new connections to that external IP. (NAT usually keeps track of the computers making outbound connections and routes everything to the right computer, but it doesn't know what to do with a new inbound computer.)

So if you connect to that external IP, the router should send you straight to the VM.

So, I put the local private 192.168.* IP as the DMZ, and then forward the domain name to the public IP for everything on my router (the one from the website that you linked to)?

(sorry if I'm being really slow here)

VirtualBox can be used for server virtualization, but it's really not intended for it. It's primarily intended for desktop virtualization.

You'd probably be better off with VMware Server or VMware ESX, both of which are free.

• 5 months later...