What are the physical charasteristics for steel?

rigadin

Hi guys

It was a long time since I logged in last time but I am writing an essay about steel and I would like to know the physical charasteristics of steel. Like density, melting point, and percentage of carbon (I'm asking you because I get so many different numbers and I'm a bit confused:confused: )

At the same time if you feel like answering what is so special about an electric arc furnace?

Thanks for your help

rigadin

steel is very general of a term. density, melting-point and percentage of carbon are all variables.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel

an electric arc furnace use a cathode (if it weren't an anode, don't remember off the top of my head), usually made of something with very high melting-temperatures (atom-number 68 I think is the metal with the highest melting point, but I'm not sure if its correct, its the number that fell out as I thought about it), they run loads of electricity through it to create an arc of electricity (like a lightning bolt sort of) wich they use to warm up the metal (just a glowing kitchen-oven wouldn't be enough no matter how many you have unless you do something really clever with gas and pressure).

EDIT: cobalt I think was the metal with the warmest melting-point.

There are different types of steel and they are made under different conditions, which is probably why you are getting different answers.

The following table lists the typical properties of steels at room temperature (25°C). The wide ranges of ultimate tensile strength, yield strength, and hardness are largely due to different heat treatment conditions.

http://www.efunda.com/Materials/alloys/alloy_home/steels_properties.cfm