The site changes thread

I suppose that's a matter of opinion - I don't really mind it to be honest. Plus, it keeps in check with the rest of the forum, since the thread symbol is displayed with every* thread listing.

(*I haven't checked them all, so don't beat me if I'm wrong.)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I'd like would be the ability for us (the staff) to reward those who contribute a lot to the community, perhaps creating a new usergroup for them (with a little logo/coloured username/etc) so we can recognise their efforts. For example, swansont has done a lot for the physics stuff, and bloodhound/e)ch00n have both done a lot for the mathematics forums.

Is this to suggest that those with answers add more than those with questions?

One thing I noticed is that on the main page, there's a column for the thread "symbol". However, most threads don't have one anyways, so it looks silly having a mainly blank column.

Same for the New Posts page.

I think it would be nice if the recent topics on the main page were "unbolded" after they were viewed by the user,. like they were before the home page was revamped

Yea, I'm working on killing two birds with one stone. I'm going to replace the thread icon with thread indicators. It's taking me a bit longer to figure it out than I thought it would though. Soon enough.

One I've noticed:

I log on to the forums and see there are lots of unread threads. I close the window without reading any. I open SFN back up and everything before the time that I closed the window is now marked read.

One thing I'd like would be the ability for us (the staff) to reward those who contribute a lot to the community, perhaps creating a new usergroup for them (with a little logo/coloured username/etc) so we can recognise their efforts. For example, swansont has done a lot for the physics stuff, and bloodhound/e)ch00n have both done a lot for the mathematics forums.

I just had this idea-You could add a status below their normal status (atom or molecule or whatever) and have it say "Medal of Honor". You could also make a nice avatar with a medal in it to give to them.

Now that we've got the chat set up, could you get it to automatically tell you who's on the chat, like by putting a symbol next to their name?

Can't you just get into the chatroom and look at the complete list there?

ExtraSense has never been neer the chatroom as far as I know. Even so, it only takes a second to open it up. I guess it's not really my call though. I just don't really want to see everyone's posts get too cluttered up with lights and buttons and links to tell you if they're online, if they're in the chatroom, if their posts are good and what they last ate.

[edit]On second thought, I've never seen you in the chatroom either.

Oh yes:

Every time I post a new thread I will look at Who's Online for a bit to see if anyone looks at it. I wait until someone does' date=' and go back to New Posts. There it says it still has 1 view, instead of 2?

Why doesn't it update?[/quote']

It is stored in yor computers memory if your refresh your page it should fix it

I have another suggestion for SFN

I dont know of any science board that has a Quantum Gravity forum or subforum.

QG is not the same as string theory.

At the preprint arxiv.org the string people usually post in

the "hep-th" department (highenergyphysics-theory)

and the QG people usually post in the "gr-qc" department

(generalrelativity-quantumgravity)

QG is beginning to guide observation in astronomy, that is,

astronomers have started looking for certain quantum gravity

effects predicted by some versions of LQG

the observations have constrained the theory and are expected

to do more of that in future as better instruments go into orbit.

much of the theoretical work going on in LQG is now around

dark energy, dark matter, cosmological constant, black holes,

and predicting observable effects in gammaray bursts.

so the main action in LQG is very much in the area of astronomy.

it would be nice to have a comparatively quiet forum in which the information about this

could be assembled

sometimes i find that I post something, or start a thread, and it gets ignored because its at the bottom, or not on, the New Posts page...then the only way to get it noticed again is to post something on it. I dont really know if there's a way to fix that, lol, but it would be cool if there was :D

Threads in the non-science forums do not show on the front page.

Threads on the fornt page and in the "new posts" list are ordered newest post first.

Bumping threads is not something we encourage, and spam is deleted as a matter of course.