What are everyone's mathematics skills?

Ice_Phoenix87

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arithmetic & patterning was my favourite.

My Math skills ... hm ... well, the last Maths I've taken were Linear Algebra & Calculus I & II. They were fun.

:)

I wonder how Analysis will be...

The most advanced class I've taken is Calculus III (vector calc.). I'm studying alot of discrete math. at the moment. I've also done some abstract algebra (just groups and rings, never got into the fields chapters) and some tensor analysis. I took a course in applied statistics (but I found it too rudimentary).

There is just so much math. that I still need to study, it's ridiculous. Linear algebra is probably the next thing I'll tackle.

High school maths involved : single variable Caluculus, complex algebra, coordinate geometry, combinatronics and probability.

Off-late : Multi variable calculus, Vector calculus, A bit of analysis, Metric spaces, Theory of groups and rings, Matrix algebra, Discrete and boolean algebra

The stuff thats been very useful is Calculus (single variable), because its everywhere in quantum meachnics and in thermodynamics.

Vector calculus was used by me in electrodynamics.

Well, metric spaces are totally seperate from anything you ever learn in school. It is acctually a post graduate course you do if you undertake an MSc(master of sciences - I dunno if thats what its called elsewhere) in maths. However my engg college decided to turn it into an under graduate course, and I did it right after I got out of school in my 1st sem itself.

Where does one learn about metric spaces? Do you learn this in a real analysis course or do you have to take a course on measure theory? I've never delved into this realm so I wouldn't know.
Introductory (i.e. undergraduate) Real Analysis courses will generally introduce the concept of metric spaces. Introductory Topology courses will usually cover them in much greater detail.

(master of sciences - I dunno if thats what its called elsewhere)
It's called by the same name in the US, but is usually abbreviated M.S.

I'm first year uni (going into second year in September), so I guess the equivalent class I've taken is probably Calculus II (Analysis II at Warwick). I've done quite a lot of Linear Algebra and also 3D Geometry & Motion.

Almost done my undergrad degree...

most useful math I know? I don't know but I would say the course that helped me most was the 1st abstract algebra couse I did because it introduced me to writing complete proofs, abstract stuff, functions, sets, relations, etc etc. It didn't get any harder after that.