Artificial Intelligence

blike

Will we create A.I. more intelligent than ourselves?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will we create A.I. more intelligent than ourselves?

• Yes, in my lifetime
    • Yes, but not within my lifetime
    • Never
    • I don't know

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO, it is impossible to program or make something which is more intelligent than us because it will be based on our knowledge........

[an obvious overlooked fact]

you cant create something more clever than you, if it is based on your brain!!!!!

but it is highly possible to have AI which thinks quicker, that is possible, already, computer calculators are quicker than humans! just not cleverer, because it was based on be-known knowledge!

It doesn't matter matter if it's based on our brains, theres nobody who mastered in creative writing, mechanical engineering, history, Music and Arts..so on.. but yet, with a Computer, there is an unlimited amount of learning that can be programmed in to it. Now then again, I doubt that a computer could come up with theory's the way that the human mind does. They simply don't have the creativity that we do, and that's something you can't program in to a computer.

People create beings that are more intelligent than they are all the time. Many mentally retarded couples, for instance, can foster extremely intelligent, superior offspring. And humans also have the advantage of their numbers: no one person is capable of building a modern computer or automobile from scratch, but with many people working on the problem, it can be achieved easily.

So it will be with artificial intelligence. We don't have to know how to "program" an AI; only how to build an "infant" AI -- then help it to learn and develope as we do with human children. This is the approach Steve Grand and many AI researchers are taking.

• 6 months later...

I voted "yes, in my lifetime" because I see the creation of an AI as inevitable, and once an AI that is unconstrained in the type of problem it can solve is created, it can be made arbitrarily more intelligent simply by adding more computing power. Also, I am young and optimistic, so I think it will happen in my lifetime.

Given the assumption of materialism, there is no reason that we couldn't build an intelligence because it is already demonstrated that it is possible (people exist and are intelligent). As bascule noted, we could simply make a simulation of a human on a computer, if there were no simpler method. I personally think it will be a much simpler prospect, but there's no way to know until we get there.

I'm going to say never, because the choices as are imply that science hasn't already implemented artificial intelligence that meets any reasonable definition of the term in the cognitive sciences. Machines can already calculate, they can already retain state to inform and reason their way through decision trees, and they can already express themselves in media in ways we would consider emotional, fragile, or error-prone if a human being was placed in the black box instead. The results, of course, are underwhelming.

• 1 year later...
NO, it is impossible to program or make something which is more intelligent than us because it will be based on our knowledge........

[an obvious overlooked fact]

you cant create something more clever than you, if it is based on your brain!!!!!

Well, it will be based on our knowledge yes. But it will have all our knowledge at the same time and be able to access any of it at any time. I would say that yes, that would be smarter that me. I can't remember someone's name instantly, or recall a specific date on the spot. A.I. would be able to pull any of the information we provide it with instantly.

The A & H bombs were created in other countries because they KNEW it could be done by the example of US precedence . In the same way we KNOW it can be created in & by biological life forms so given enough time it can be done by a machine . All it will take is sufficient advances in technology . To say otherwise is to say life is unique & a special creation

There's a considerable difference between how smart a given person is and how much they know about how to build systems which are smarter than themselves.