Artificial Intelligence

blike

Will we create A.I. more intelligent than ourselves?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will we create A.I. more intelligent than ourselves?

• Yes, in my lifetime
    • Yes, but not within my lifetime
    • Never
    • I don't know

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might need a new dictionary.

ar·ti·fi·cial ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ärt-fshl)

adj.

Made by humans; produced rather than natural.

Brought about or caused by sociopolitical or other human-generated forces or influences: set up artificial barriers against women and minorities; an artificial economic boom.

Made in imitation of something natural; simulated: artificial teeth.

Not genuine or natural: an artificial smile.

Function: adjective

1 a : made by humans <artificial accessions> —compare NATURAL b : caused or produced by a human and esp. social or political agency <an artificial price advantage>

2 : arising through operation of law —ar·ti·fi·cial·ly adverb

Main Entry: ar·ti·fi·cial

Pronunciation: "ärt-&-'fish-&l

Function: adjective

1 : humanly contrived often on a natural model <an artificial limb> <an artificial eye> <an artificial heart>

2 : based on differential morphological characters not necessarily indicative of natural relationships <an artificial key for identification of a group of organisms> —ar·ti·fi·cial·ly /-'fish-(&-)lE/ adverb

artificial intelligence

n. Abbr. AI

The ability of a computer or other machine to perform those activities that are normally thought to require intelligence.

The branch of computer science concerned with the development of machines having this ability.

n : the branch of computer science that deal with writing computer programs that can solve problems creatively; "workers in AI hope to imitate or duplicate intelligence in computers and robots" [syn: AI]

<artificial intelligence> (AI) The subfield of computer

science concerned with the concepts and methods of symbolic

inference by computer and symbolic knowledge representation

for use in making inferences. AI can be seen as an attempt to

model aspects of human thought on computers. It is also

sometimes defined as trying to solve by computer any problem

that a human can solve faster. The term was coined by

Stanford Professor John McCarthy, a leading AI researcher.

They can only be as smart as the smartest person.

Even then, it's somewhat dangerous.

Of course if you can teach them to dig further into knowledge then perhaps they could get more intelligent, but I think it is the human imagination and a lot of factors.

Of course anything's possible.

The reason they are called A.I. is because their brain or cpu is artificial.

How do they program the AI of Game Sprites in software?

if statements (if this happens, i do this or that.) random makes a random choice

flag (you do this, i'll do that)

I think the most powerful thing would to enable an A.I. to have a random thought process so that it can choose to do what it wants, when it wants to.

More academically intelligent yes ' date='but not smarter.

Because its pre-programmed it must have purpose(perform a task).Otherwise it would end up as neurotic as us asking itself WHY???[/quote']

Who says it has to be pre-programmed? The riskiest, and most potentially beneficial, thing you can do in AI is allow it to rewrite / rewire itself. Give it the ability to intelligently change itself, and you've made something that is going to gain as much knowledge as it pleases.

They can only be as smart as the smartest person.

Even then' date=' it's somewhat dangerous.

Of course if you can teach them to dig further into knowledge then perhaps they could get more intelligent, but I think it is the human imagination and a lot of factors.

Of course anything's possible.[/quote']

Well, first, you've contradicted yourself. First, you set a limiting parameter (it can only be as smart as the smartest person), and then you negate it (by saying anything is possible).

Aside from that, I have to disagree in general - think of how humans become more intelligent. Will there not be people in the future that know more about a specific subject than anyone else in the world today? Creating true AI is all about imitating the human behavior to think - hence imitating the human ability to acquire and discover information. What limits AI that is manifested in a physical form (in other words, an AI robot, not just an AI brain) other than it's will to acquire information? If it can experiment just like any of us can, then what stops it from discovering something new? The only thing stopping the AI from becoming both more academically intelligent and smarter (what's the difference, anyway?) is it's own drive to do so.

I think AI will certainly reach our level and pass it with ease.

We, for one thing, are limited by our brains, cannot upgrade add memory. Also, humans are known for happily killing their own braincells.

If you look at the rate of evolution of AI, its just overwhelming. Computers double their power every year and a half. How fast are humans improving their brain power...?

I think a major point of the issue is the dynamic nature of AI. The only way we could be smarter than AI woudl be AI implants.

That's being referred to as Augmented Intelligence, and is benefiting greatly from research into artificial intelligence. IIRC, there is an implant/external device currently experimental that augments memory and provides another memory bank.

To tell you the truth, I had a way of describing all of this.. let me look for it...

... Since the neurological pathways and physical components of the human body run off many chemical attributes that keep a balance within the human body through many pathways, it could be possible to create an electrical system with chemical attributes in a robotic system that would allow a robot to actually think like a human. The only thing that really messes up all of this science is the fact that humans are analog and robots are digital. We can evolve to unlimited possibilities keeping intune with universal physics. Robots are somewhat limited UNTIL they can find a way to tune into the universal physical laws thus finding an infinite attribute to unlimit themselves to.. but god hope that doesn't happen cause we'd be screwed.

that was a discussion i had with people on grey goo. but i guess this could be applied to any type of A.I.

in other words: create an artificial brain exactly like the human type, you can have a robot that's just like a human.

i wouldn't want to be the scientist that created an A.I. that could have robots on the same field as humans having the same mental abilities though.

i guess in a way it's limited. i think this would have to do with digital vs. analog because we can do many things at once while they do one process after another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_process

In short, they won't become more intelligent than us. They will be the same as us, when the processing part gets leaped over.

Just like some people are more intelligent than others. Robots will have the same power. AI may be able to learn faster and become more intelligent and be ahead of the human race 1000 years, but the human race will eventually catch up. In the end we would all be equal.

A.I. is a very, very, very deep topic which I could talk for hours about.

• 2 weeks later...
In short' date=' they won't become more intelligent than us. They will be the same as us, when the processing part gets leaped over.

Just like some people are more intelligent than others. Robots will have the same power. AI may be able to learn faster and become more intelligent and be ahead of the human race 1000 years, but the human race will eventually catch up. In the end we would all be equal.[/quote']

Why should we bo so special that our brains are at the intelligence limit? If ever we create Artificial Intelligence that challenges the human mind, then it would only be a matter of time before it exceeds us exponentially. You can imagine that the first AI will be very buggy, perhaps have all sorts of ugly coding and such, but all we would have to do is tell this computer to write a new AI that would be more powerful, we could ask it to do this recursively until we have the fundamental intelligence algorithm that (I reckon) would be ridiculously small, perhaps only a couple of megabytes.

• 4 weeks later...

AI is only limited by the hardware it is being run on. The faster the hardware, the faster the AI can learn and impliment new ideas. I can't think of a reason why AI wouldn't be able to grow beyond our knowledge if we simply kept upgrading its hardware and we wrote the appropriate algorithms to give it the ability to learn.

The same goes for humans. The size of our brain is only limited by the size of the birth canal, so with the use of artificial wombs and genetic engineering we can make ourselves as intelligent as we want. As for the rate of natural evolution making use more intelligent, we havn't gotten any smarter than when our ancestors hunted for food. If an human from that time period were to be born today he would have the same chance at getting a PHd in astrophysics as any of us.

Then you have lost me' date=' because you seem to be relying on a definition that is not provided there.

(sorry for the late reply.)[/quote']

Yes, the definition I gave is the one that is 'according to me' more correct now and in the future.

Why slightly different than in a current dictonary because I don't think that we will call it AI when some 'AI' get the status of lifeform and that should logicaly happen when we fail to understand its intelligent behavior.

Also if an other intelligent being would write some AI it wouldn't be AI according to current dictonary since it wan't made by humans, although everyone would stil recognize it as AI.

• 1 month later...
NO' date=' it is impossible to program or make something which is more intelligent than us because it will be based on our knowledge........

[an obvious overlooked fact']

you cant create something more clever than you, if it is based on your brain!!!!!

but it is highly possible to have AI which thinks quicker, that is possible, already, computer calculators are quicker than humans! just not cleverer, because it was based on be-known knowledge!

just because you something reacts quicker doesnt mean that its smarter.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe computers will ever be able to become more intelligent then ourselves. Of course this is based that computers could never become sentient... if they could... well thats a hole other kettle of fish lol

but yah, computers as they are, are nothing but calculating machines. Nothing that can even be compared to humanity when you look at real intelligence...

I don't believe computers will ever be able to become more intelligent then ourselves. Of course this is based that computers could never become sentient... if they could... well thats a hole other kettle of fish lol

but yah' date=' computers as they are, are nothing but calculating machines. Nothing that can even be compared to humanity when you look at real intelligence...[/quote']

If that's the case, then they are machines that can calculate a hell of a lot faster then I can!

but yah' date=' computers as they are, are nothing but calculating machines. Nothing that can even be compared to humanity when you look at real intelligence...[/quote']

Consciousness is made out of neurons. If you damage the brain, consciousness is likewise impared. If you imbibe substances which disrupt the chemical operations of the brain, consciousness is likewise disrupted.

Neurons and the underlying algorithims they collectively implement are deterministic. Therefore you brain is a computer, because it executes deterministic algorithms. The operation of any deterministic algorithm can be executed on a Universal Turing Machine. Therefore the execution of the fundamental algorithms of consciouness can be expressed on any computer which is Turing Complete.

they can calculate far faster then us' date=' but they can't think more intelligently then us... they don't really even think, (yet :P)[/quote']

They can but only because they are amazingly simple compared to the human brain... a chip can't even come close to the complexity.

I also have another point here: Should it not be impossible for us to make a machine more intelligent than us - to do so it would mean we would have to be more inteligent to create something so its a paradox when you try to create something more intelligent than you :S

Anyone see what I mean there?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

I also have another point here: Should it not be impossible for us to make a machine more intelligent than us - to do so it would mean we would have to be more inteligent to create something so its a paradox when you try to create something more intelligent than you :S

Evolution is a clear contradiction of that.

Evolution is a clear contradiction of that.

I don't think so... but I'm talking computers not people in any case.

how can people create something more intelligent tham themselves? People can't do that any more than someone can create a perfect program or a perfect anything.

Do you see what I mean? I know evolution creates something more intelligent from something less inteligent but the difference between an organism and a computer is a big one.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Originally Posted by bascule

Consciousness is made out of neurons.If you damage the brain, consciousness is likewise impared.

Isn't that like saying "I move using my legs therefore moving is made out of legs"?