Are Christians almost Atheists?

Mr Skeptic

Well think about it: a Christian disbelieves in almost as many gods as an atheist does. This website has descriptions of almost 3000 gods, and I'm sure there are thousands more -- maybe millions, especially if you count prehistoric tribal gods.

Now, Christianity is a monotheistic religion, and most sects profess not just a lack of belief in the other gods, but outright disbelief. On the other hand, most atheists are agnostic atheists, and so they do not express a disbelief in the various gods, just a lack of belief in them. So for most gods, a Christian would have less belief in them than the average atheist. With, of course, one exception. But what's that one exception among thousands or millions?

OK, so Christians and atheists do behave significantly differently, so saying they are almost alike via belief in the various gods is rather silly. But then the question is, why are they not almost atheists?

You could argue that Christianity is less monotheistic than say, Judaism. Roman Catholics worship "the father the son and the holy ghost" who they do claim are all the same God, (but Hindus also claim that their various deities are the same God and lots of people call Hinduism polytheistic) as well as "venerating" Mary and thousands of saints.

In that sense, yes. The monotheist only believes in one god out of thousands (or really, an infinite number of possible gods), the atheist believes in none. By the same standard, a Unitarian who finds "truth in all religions" (or something like that), would be far more religious than the Christian.

However, "number of things you have religious faith in" seems less relevant to me than "strength of religious faith." The atheist has basically none and may aspire to have as little as possible. The Christian may concentrate as much faith as possible into that one god, and aspire to have even more.

An interesting comparison considering the claims in the other thread... :cool:

Well, it's on my mind, after all. But you are right, some here do seem to think there is such a thing as "somewhat pregnant". :P

I don't think I hold "almost" no formal degree of school education just because I only hold one of the thousands available. Same goes with "almost no computer", "almost no job" and pretty much anything.

An interesting comparison considering the claims in the other thread... :cool:

Agreed. I've read jryan's stuff, too.

But isn't the difference between an atheist and a Christian. . .that one excludes only one more belief system from the 'you're all wrong' scenario? That's hardly any, once you account for all the belief systems out there. . . .

That fits the 'almost' category, for me.

The Christian (in the generic) says. . . 'You're all wrong, except me (mine?).'

We both say the same thing, without that last little caveat.

I love this thread.

Bill Wolfe

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
OK, so Christians and atheists do behave significantly differently, so saying they are almost alike via belief in the various gods is rather silly. But then the question is, why are they not almost atheists?

I challenge this statement. I'm an atheist, but I have an 'internal' moral code that I would put up against any Christian (with the possible exception of Mother Theresa, what a cool chick!) that I've ever met.

I bet there are others out there who might just have a moral code that equals that of any 'Christians.' My problem isn't with Christ, but His fan club annoys the 'heck' out of me.'

Bill Wolfe.

I challenge this statement. I'm an atheist, but I have an 'internal' moral code that I would put up against any Christian (with the possible exception of Mother Theresa, what a cool chick!) that I've ever met.

My guarantee that my moral code is better than yours.

(We are using my moral code to define "better", aren't we?)

My guarantee that my moral code is better than yours.

(We are using my moral code to define "better", aren't we?)

Really, Severian?

Is it because your 'morality' is based on scriptures, or is it because you know StrontiDog personally and judge his morality compared to yours on an actual objective measure?

>:D

~moo

Really, Severian?

Is it because your 'morality' is based on scriptures, or is it because you know StrontiDog personally and judge his morality compared to yours on an actual objective measure?

>:D

~moo

I think Severian's point is that it's subjective. Severian is more moral than Strontidog under Severian's moral code. And presumably vice versa.

i.e., saying you're more moral than group X is hard to justify, because they can say the same thing about you, under the rules of group X.

Some times i wonder if it is really possible to be an atheist in our society or in any society. I think virtually everyone has the idea of some sort of higher power inserted by society they have to at least deny. I think the take my Pagan friends have is interesting, the call Catholicism pagan light, the same multiple gods but with no bonfires no sex or nudity. I think of my self as a atheist but when i stub my toe I still call on God to curse the rock my toe hit.