Logic gates

pulkit

Microprocessors have millions of transistors that in essence are the realisation of logic gates.......

In practice what logic gates do you make on a a microprocessor ?

Do you make the 3 basic ones AND,OR and NOT ?

Or do you make everything using NAND ? or using NOR ?

Secondly, can a 2 bit XOR gate be realised using a single transistor ?

NAND and NOT gates are the simplest to make electrically (whether you are using TTL, CMOS, BiCMOS, GaAs, whatever). However, the amount of NAND gets used to make an XOR gate takes up too much space and therefore building a XOR gate from scratch (using CMOS or whatever) is sometimes preferred so not everything is made out of NAND and NOT logic. A microprocessor made entirely of pure NAND gates would require a larger surface area than one with mixed gate logic.

The answer to your fourth question is no. Transistors alone can't do the job. You need other kinds of electrical circuits (resistors, capacitors, etc.).

I have no idea how many transistors are used in an XOR gate. This sort of information is usually available in an IC's technical reference manual. Motorola makes XOR ICCs. I'm sure they have a PDF somewhere with the electrical diagram for it (so you can count the transistors yourself).

P.S. I changed my avatar because the last one didn't look good. Why not HiMAT? It's a cool looking aircraft in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

NAND, because with the use of DeMorgans law, you can make ANY other gate using it :)

as for the single tran XOR, it IS possible with negative feedback from the emitter to cancel out the base input with a bias, but it`s not often used outside of discrete components.

THAT is your answer :)

my question about a logic gate:

if you take a simple NOT gate, insert it into a circuit with bulb/battery/switch, if you open the switch [stopping the current from flowing] the NOT gate gets an input of 0A and 0V, so being a not gate, it creates a current or voltage [cant remember which one, to be exact!] so where does it make this current or voltage come from?

NOT gate: [binary]

input = 1. output = 0

input = 0. output = 1

in the 2nd one, how can a current or voltage be made from nowhere?

IC 7404 : Inverter

It has 6 NOT gates

I had a data sheet which instructed me to connect 3 NOT gates in series to construct an inverter. Does this technique have any advantage over having just a single NOT gate (The only difference I can imagine is a delayed signal) ?

it`ll have a propogation delay sure, but it`ll in micro secs (sometimes usefull) it is odd that on a 74 TTL series that 3 should be used though (usualy that`s only done on CMOS 4X series as they don`t like "lose ends AKA unused pins, becuase they stray and induce spurious currents in the substrate). the only reasons I can think of is the delay, a Schmidt type effect or the old school "tie up and use all free gates" thinking :)