The red herring principle

ajb

We have a metatheorem (due to Urs Schreiber?)

Metatheorem A “red herring” need not, in general, be either red or a herring.

So, so simple examples.

1) A manifold with a boundary is not a manifold.

2) A supermanifold is again, not a manifold.

3) Noncommutative geometry considers "spaces" that may or may not be commutative.

4) A Grassmann number is not really a number (as a mathematical object used in counting and measuring).

and so on.

Anyone suggest some other "nice examples"?

• 2 weeks later...
Dimensions. A point is 'dimensionless', or Zero. The line is constructed by aligning infinite #s of Zero-dimensional points. So how does the line acquire a 'dimensionality' of One? And so on toward the 'plane' & upwards.

Any sub space of another space is going to consist of a collection of points.

To parametrise a point one needs no parameters. It is just specified as a selected point.

A line requires you to use one parameter. Let us work on [math]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/math] and use local coordinates [math]\{x^{a} \}[/math].

A point we can think of as a map

[math]pt \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{n}[/math].

In local coordinates this is simply given by [math]x^{a}_{p}[/math]. You specify a particular coordinate.

A line or really what we call a curve is a map

[math] \gamma : I \subset \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^{n}[/math].

If [math]t [/math] is a coordinate on [math]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/math] then in local coordinates we have

[math]\gamma^{*}x^{a} = x^{a}(t)[/math].

So you specify a one parameter family of points.

A plane or really a sheet requires two parameters, say [math]\{t , s\}[/math] and we have in local coordinates

[math]x^{a}(t,s)[/math] a two parameter family of points etc...

So I am not sure this really qualifies for the red herring principle.

Anyone suggest some other "nice examples"?

A multi-valued function (e.g. asin(x)) is not a function. Neither is the Dirac delta function.

Cartesian tensors are not tensors. There are Cartesian tensors that are not tensors and tensors that are not Cartesian tensors.

DH, these are good examples. Just the sort of thing I had in mind.

As an aside the lack of a distinction between covariant and contravariant Cartesian tensors courses mind blocks when passing to more general manifolds or indeed from more general manifolds to Euclidean spaces. (I always have trouble anyway!)

If SIN is not a function what is it, an algorithm? If I were coding it from scratch I would use a function, in a programming languege, which is really an algorythm.

In this sence sum, product and factorial are not functions either. How about to the power of?

If SIN is not a function what is it, an algorithm?

I never said sin(x) is not a function. It most certainly is. A function is something that has a well-defined output for all values in the domain of the function.

It is asin(x) that is not a function. asin(x) is short for arcsin(x), in other words the inverse of the sine function.

The problem arises from the fact that [math]sin((2n+1)\pi-x)=sin(2n\pi+x)=sin(x)\,\forall\, n\in\mathbb I[/math]. There is not a single value that can be assigned to asin(x).

asin(x) is what is called a multi-valued function. Using "multi-valued" as a qualifier of the word "function" makes it sound like multi-valued functions are a special kind of function. This is not the case. In fact, it is the other way around. The set of all functions is a proper subset of the set of all multi-valued functions.

So, in a sense, the term "multi-valued function" is a bit of a mis-nomenclature, and that is exactly what ajb is looking for in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

May be the below is following this criteria, ajb:

"Minimum surface area, generated by rotating a curve between 2 fixed points around a fixed axis, doesn't imply that the curve is a straight line, although the shortest distance between two fixed points is a straight line."