Sulfuric acid is reddish-brown?

flarn2006

• 3 weeks later...

i bought sulfuric acid from Lowe's with the same description. It appears reddish, yet i dont think it is of 93%, because i did a simple test of the dehydration of sugar and the result was very poor. The reaction proceeded very slowly so i assume it is of lower concentration.

i bought sulfuric acid from Lowe's with the same description. It appears reddish, yet i dont think it is of 93%, because i did a simple test of the dehydration of sugar and the result was very poor. The reaction proceeded very slowly so i assume it is of lower concentration.

I didn't know Lowe's sells sulfuric acid! :D

You really shouldn't be wanting to go out and get the most concentrated sulphuric acid you can get! What are you using it for?

I was just surprised that Lowes sells 98% Sulfuric acid. Thats all. :D

Edit: apparently you can boil the sulfuric acid, as it closes in on 100% its BP increases up to 337C. So... from there you direct the hot acid into water where it will condense and you'll have pretty pure sulfuric acid (free of all that buffer junk that makes it useless x( )

Edited by ercdndrs
inaccurate data

What if you also boiled the water also? Would it maybe not explode?

Or, put it through a condenser

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I'd like to know because I'm having a similar problem (acid with buffers) and would like some stuff that doesn't look like toilet water and, moreover, will give predictable reaction products.

Also, not having my body covered in 300 degree sulphuric acid and glass shrapnel wounds would be nice :D

• 8 years later...
On 4/1/2010 at 6:15 AM, elliotmotocross said:

You really shouldn't be wanting to go out and get the most concentrated sulphuric acid you can get! What are you using it for?

Many Good Uses. But the Best that I recall would be for Use in an Reverse Electrolytic Cell. For fast stripping of Gold from Plated and Gold Filled / Rolled Jewelry items. It is used as the Electrolyte.

On 4/1/2010 at 6:15 AM, elliotmotocross said: