Dust Attraction

foodchain

Could you place something around computer case vents to attract incoming or outgoing dust? It would just seem to be a beneficial future is all, maybe something that could gain some electricity from the computer to attract it around the vents.

Not a bad idea, maybe like a ionizer or something that is in front of the inflowing air vent that could be removed and cleaned. That actually is a very novel idea. I know that my old tower use to get loads of dust in it all the time, I would have to vacuum it out quite frequently to keep it clean. I could imagine that the same thing happens to many laptops.

step 1: go buy a pair of tights/nick them off your girlfriend/wife or whatever, get tights is the main point of this step.

step 2: cut them up so they fit over the air inlets of your computer(don't need to worry about the exhaust)

step 3: attach with tape/rubber bands/whatever.

Well dust is a good home for microbial life, and with that I think some studies have found that various metals can be taken up by those populations. I wonder if this introduces such chemicals to other organisms, or what role that plays in other areas.

I imagine you could just put some by the vent, if not the vent itself that could allow for it to be electrostatic or attract the dust without it being a risk to touch, then it would be a simple wipe down on a more durable surface.

Such technology could probably even be a bit of an air purifier, though not primary by any means, for a small room.

I've never quite understood why filters haven't been very popular in the desktop computing world. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that over they would require regular maintenance (removing built-up dust) and of course raise the cost of the computer. So in a sense we're all paying for the fact that computers have become a lowest-common-denominator-of-intelligence product.

But they do have them, and if you google "computer air filters" you'll see a bunch of products. From what I've seen they're not really good for high-performance computers -- a high-end gaming PC would need to increase its airflow to offset the reduction from the filter. And you'd have to be very aware that it would gradually reduce further over time (until you clean it).

Mechanical and chemical engineers have plenty of designs for high-flow-rate filtering techniques that are used in power generation and industrial facilities for tower packing, mist elimination, particle collection and so forth. They also have some pretty good ideas for cleaning (i.e. automated systems that do it for you). It seems to me that an enterprising person could take one or two of those ideas and make a nice product that doesn't greatly impede airflow and keeps itself clean.

Probably not a huge idea, but a lot of folks build their own boxes and they love stuff like that.

• 9 months later...

I had purchased large filter sheets for a home air filter. These charcoal/pre filter sheets are cut to size and wrap around a circular central HEPA filter cartridge. It is very high flow material. I used the excess material and have it taped in place over all my computers intake areas. I vacuum the intakes every few weeks. Inside of the PCs are staying much cleaner. Reduces the gook making it in by 90%. Better filter material would trap more, possibly flow better. A high surface area / high flow filter, like a car intake air filter would probably be optimal, and not all that expensive. I also placed sheets of the same material in front of my window unit air conditioners.

I think stockings/socks/tights would be too restrictive of air flow and likely cause some heat problems. and probably cost more than actual filter material.

I used leftover stuff like this:

http://www.filtersfast.com/Honeywell-38002-Air-Filter.asp