Is it common to be assaulted on your local streets?

ajb

Where is Bat-Man when you need him?

These foreign lands seem very interesting.

I think I will apply to graduate school in them.

I'll be able to work on my fighting skills and martial arts a lot more often.

You're a scientist. Just confuse them with a physics problem or something.

Anyway, I often believe cities fudge the numbers of a variety of things, which include crime.

Crime tends to increase with unemployment, too, so this could be a contemporary issue.

If anything you seem to be a well-educated person of decent social status, so I suggest you leave if things get that bad.

Maybe one week out of the year isn't so bad. But every other week? I'd get prepared to leave.

If someone threw a milkshake at me every week, and I wasn't working in a restaurant, I'd get p.o.'d.

Maybe try not to look like a victim? That seems to help some people.

Are you dressed like a poindexter? A total nerd?

Or avoid certain areas during certain times.

If someone physically attacks you each week or tries to physically steal something from you each week, I'd see that as greater reason to leave. People can be serious jerks, especially if they have nothing to lose. However, people don't want to lose their lives, because they have an inborn fear and will lack the ability to do something that which make them lose their lives. In a fist fight, people can get killed. Most won't kill the other person, though.

So, unless people start attacking you, I suspect the best thing to do is avoid the groups of jerks.

Maybe walk through a neighborhood that has an older community.

Edited by Genecks

I have never been assaulted - I have had my bum pinched by passing women, but I don't think that counts.

I did once have a drunk guy be quite abusive with a girl I was with, but since I punched him first, I don't think that counts either.

Some people walk all hunched over like they expect to get hit any moment. These people have a target on their backs and seem to draw thugs like a crazy-magnet.

Huh, now i know why people threw stuff at me now. lol

yea ajb i have had some encounters with abusive people.

from what observations i have been able to take with these people, it seems to me that they are generally characterized by having large muscles or to be skinny but not knowledgable in areas of logical thinking such as higher maths and science.

aka, the abusive people have a general tendecy to be the average (intelligence wise) and the athletic. it might have something to do with testosterone in the case of the althetic people.

I feel pretty safe living in NYC. I am in a safe neighborhood, but you can never be too careful.

The other day there was an (apparently) homeless guy in my bank's atm vestibule smoking a cigar. At any point, he could have robbed me blind, but he was just chilling.

Obvious risks like these should be avoided.

I lived in Brixton London for about 15 years and I could walk through the town at night...But perhaps, because of my attitude I never was accosted or bothered, I am white, 5'6" and of slim build so it was not my size...of course I was wary but I would not cross the road from a crowd and did not walk in the shadows, I walked with an attitude of, "this is my place" and "If it happens then so be it" that worked for me..

Does this happen to you also?

No. Never.

I live in a pretty average Dutch town of about 100k people. We have quite a standard distribution of wealth (rich and poor neighborhoods)...

I have lived in two other cities in the Netherlands as well...

But none of the incidents that you describe ever happened to me in my life.

I live in Sofia - the capital of Bulgaria and have never been assaulted here. In smaller towns, however, it has happened to me. It's a quite unpleasant thing to experience. :(

In two out of the three cases, I have not been able to react adequately, which was the worst of it. The feeling that someone did something against your will, and you did nothing to prevent it is really frustrating and can drive you mad. :doh:

But I doubt that tendency to be a bully is a function of muscle mass and IQ. I think that there are much more complicated social variables that lead people into such actions.

yes i would agree that it is a much more complicated social variables that push a person into bulling, however there does seem to be a general trend to being high muscle mass/ mid to low book/logical IQ being the ones to accomplish the bulling.

I am Malaysian and being assaulted at local street is common.. As for now, drug addict is increasing and together with the crimes. The common victim are pregnant mother, old women and college girls. They usually comes with motorcycle and grab their victim's belonging away. sometimes their action cause injuries and even death.