Is it common to be assaulted on your local streets?

ajb

Today some idiots drove past be as I was walking down the street and threw a half empty cup of McDonald's milkshake at me. Made a mess.

Only a few days a go a girl not even in her teens grabbed my bum.

I have only recently moved back into the area, but I remember other incidents like being spat at and other things thrown at me from cars.

I can list other things that have happened to other family members of similar nature. Sometimes the assailants are known, but not always.

Does this happen to you also? Or is this an anomaly for my home town of Newport South Wales? Which by the way is a real sh*t tip. (I blame the numerous council estates that are full of the criminal classes and other undesirables. )

A boy of 15 was shot here a few days ago, coincidently not far from my incident today.

And then Newport is going to host the Ryder cup. Stupid idea if you ask me inviting a golf tournament to a place full of scum and villainy.

Anyone not from the UK, welcome to broken Britain.

I live in New York and I've never been assaulted like that here.

I am not sure if people will believe this, but based on what you have said one is probably safer walking round New York than Newport! (Despite what CSI NY suggests LOL )

The girl grabbing your bum seems a little anomalous. Were there words spoken, or skin broken, or was it more of a pre-teen grope on a dare from her friends? Your bum is your butt, right? That's the right UK slang, isn't it? Was she doing it in a derisive manner, a suggestive manner, or a your-wallet-will-pop-out-if-I-squeeze-hard-enough manner?

Young people seem to target other young people, especially if they know the person and are fairly certain there'd be no retaliation. People in cars also seem to think they are safe from those on foot, which they are unless they are throwing something at you and you have a cell phone camera handy for a quick pic of a license plate (and even then you probably need a witness to show that they assaulted you).

We don't get much of that where I live, and even in an urban setting it's not as common these days, as long as you stay out of places where teens prowl for their kicks. There is also much to be said about walking with confidence, as if to suggest you are not the type of person to throw things at. Some people walk all hunched over like they expect to get hit any moment. These people have a target on their backs and seem to draw thugs like a crazy-magnet.

Unfortunately, here in Santiago, past 21:00 hrs. (9 P.M.), when it gets dark it is a very ussual issue, mostly against the oldest, children and women (easy preys), or they assault you in groups in case of men, and its not only money what they want, anything that has at least a little value is desired (cellphones, jackets, suitcases, shoes, anything ).

Being inside a car, doesn`t help much, they break your windows at a red light stop (specially against women), grab whatever they want and start running away.

:-(

A common difference I see between the US and the UK; is that in the US criminal activity you've mentioned, the crime has a motive, i.e. stealing money/possessions, or gang violence where the attacker knows the victim and has an issue with them.

Where I live in the UK, the violence is similar to that reported in Newport, Wales.

Just a few hours ago, someone in my local pub wanted to start a fight with me, for no other reason than just to start a fight me.

An all too common scenario in Britain.

I've also been in confrontaiton for reasons such as:

Not having the right time

Raising my eyebrows

Not looking at someone

Looking at someone

Wearing a suit

The list goes on...

Unmotivated attacks, rapes and murders are quite common where I live

I've walked the streets of New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles many times late at night and always feel totally safe. mainly because I don't look like a tourist but also because I know any would-be perpetrator will likely have a motive.

Today some idiots drove past be as I was walking down the street and threw a half empty cup of McDonald's milkshake at me. Made a mess.

Only a few days a go a girl not even in her teens grabbed my bum.

I have only recently moved back into the area, but I remember other incidents like being spat at and other things thrown at me from cars.

I can list other things that have happened to other family members of similar nature. Sometimes the assailants are known, but not always.

Does this happen to you also? Or is this an anomaly for my home town of Newport South Wales? Which by the way is a real sh*t tip. (I blame the numerous council estates that are full of the criminal classes and other undesirables. )

A boy of 15 was shot here a few days ago, coincidently not far from my incident today.

And then Newport is going to host the Ryder cup. Stupid idea if you ask me inviting a golf tournament to a place full of scum and villainy.

Anyone not from the UK, welcome to broken Britain.

Dude! Move!

That does seem very bad to be honest. I live in the student area of Leamington Spa and I've never had a problem. The worst I've had is a group of drunks start making fun of me...only to shut up when my friends the american football team came over to see what was going on!

It is your attitude towards them...I have lived in many Areas with anti social people..."Brixton London"...And other Estates...in Scotland...Your attitude counts for a lot in how they see you...They have a natural instinct to single out a person who is scared of them or who is not part of their ways...I have found that if you accept their outlook and just acknowlege them as who they are they will leave you alone...Gang culture is a normal occurence in our society...Just dont be-little that and try to see the people they are and they will accept you.

It is your attitude towards them...

Not really, I was very open at one time but the people in general in these areas have just supported any stereotype that one may have.

Your attitude counts for a lot in how they see you...They have a natural instinct to single out a person who is scared of them or who is not part of their ways...

I am very confident, that is why they tend to speed or run away before I get chance to react. I do not let scum scare me.

I have nothing in common with most of people in my town. It looks like I don't want much in common with them.

I have found that if you accept their outlook and just acknowlege them as who they are they will leave you alone...Gang culture is a normal occurence in our society...Just dont be-little that and try to see the people they are and they will accept you.

So, I should embrace the criminal class way of life. Great idea. The phrase "lowest common denominator" springs to mind. In no way do I want their acceptance.

But more seriously, I have little to do with these people. For the most part I leave them alone. I simply expect the same in return and to be able to walk in my home town without being on my guard.

It is your attitude towards them...I have lived in many Areas with anti social people..."Brixton London"...And other Estates...in Scotland...Your attitude counts for a lot in how they see you...They have a natural instinct to single out a person who is scared of them or who is not part of their ways...I have found that if you accept their outlook and just acknowlege them as who they are they will leave you alone...Gang culture is a normal occurence in our society...Just dont be-little that and try to see the people they are and they will accept you.

Riiiiight. Blame the Victim!

:mad:

Hey, you're in Denver!

Yeah, this sort of thing has never happened to me, even walking down Colfax at night. Although there are a fair number of crazy people...

Definitely a place to not move to as well. :) I'm already too close.

So, I should embrace the criminal class way of life. Great idea. The phrase "lowest common denominator" springs to mind. In no way do I want their acceptance.

But more seriously, I have little to do with these people. For the most part I leave them alone. I simply expect the same in return and to be able to walk in my home town without being on my guard.

No! I dont mean that you should accept the way they are, But try to understand that is their way of life, Like going in to a Gorilla community and trying to be accepted...slowly!!!

I am not blaming the victim but if you live in the jungle then accept what the jungle is and the life that is there, and try to live with it and not be above it.

If you live in that kind of place then get on with the residents or leave...simple as that.

There are anti social people in most of our towns but if you dont like it then move...you will not change them...

I remember areas in the U.S. certainly were like that described by ajb, it has improved a bit though perhaps not entirely. We did have people start fights being macho or claiming a guy has a staring problem.

Could it have more to do with a cultural and psychological immaturity? Might sections of the UK also be going through the "bully mentality" stages frequently in the U.S.'s near past?

Maybe (to both).

Yet it seems the reality is more that for certain areas, sometimes it'll happen as a cycle -- meaning it's like a fad of behavior that last only a period of time.

Also, it's a numbers game.

I used to walk a lot between cities (to and fro) and once got a rock or something tossed at me by a passing car. It stung. And it was hard not to take personally. However, now looking back I can imagine a few pranksters laughing off their mischief and not seriously considering the potential harm.

The areas in the U.S. that I spoke of earlier also had incidences of kids dropping rocks on cars from bridges, and hurling snowballs or ice at passing vehicles, etc. Still happens I bet.

@ajb Never take it personally or as a sign of criminal numbers. Likely any spurt you experience is a mathematical probability. i.e. maybe you happened to win the trouble lottery.

But even so, you're good at math: figure out the ratio of hours and days where nothing happens to the times where you're the victim of mischief and/or inappropriate grabs.

Plus for a more realistic grasp of just how commonly such incidences occur where you live, simply ask neighbors/coworkers -- did they get hit by any objects/milkshakes tossed from a car, and when?

As for the boy shot around where you live, could've been a vengeance due to a betrayal, cheating with a friend's spouse, any number of emotional responses. Happened to someone I know, otherwise peaceful, and the local media changed facts to make him into a street brute, and it was then I learned many of the newspaper's crime stories I read before were just that -- stories. Not reports.

It is your attitude towards them...I have lived in many Areas with anti social people..."Brixton London"...And other Estates...in Scotland...Your attitude counts for a lot in how they see you...They have a natural instinct to single out a person who is scared of them

Good so far.

or who is not part of their ways...I have found that if you accept their outlook and just acknowlege them as who they are they will leave you alone...Gang culture is a normal occurence in our society...Just dont be-little that and try to see the people they are and they will accept you.

Either improperly worded, or most of it's bunk.

Perhaps you meant to say...just walk like you belong in the environment -- it doesn't bother, worry, or deter you. Chin up, movements sure.

Riiiiight. Blame the Victim!

:mad:

ajb's not to blame, obviously.

However, pinpointing the manners a victim can avoid being a target isn't the same as blaming them, and it's not the same as forgiving the abusers.

If you go openly wearing a ton of gold necklaces in a desperate area of town, for example, plus you're out alone without communication -- then you're not being sensible. In truth, it's practically reckless of you.

But even in that circumstance you're not guaranteed to encounter trouble, just merely an increased chance of it.

Just shoot them, you ARE allowed to carry a gun there >:D

Also beware the chavs having a gun, they ARE allowed to carry a gun there >:D

Well more seriously, the chavs have been (lawfully) allowed to carry a gun :eyebrow::D

As for the boy shot around where you live, could've been a vengeance due to a betrayal, cheating with a friend's spouse, any number of emotional responses.

It was drug related according to the news reports.

As for the number of incidents, I cannot be alone. It does not happen every time I go out, but enough to be worried.

As for the number of incidents, I cannot be alone. It does not happen every time I go out, but enough to be worried.
You never answered my question in post #5 about the bum-grab. Why do you put that in the same context as the thrown milkshake, just general lack of respect?