Hijack from Recommended Religious Reading

Cap'n Refsmmat

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

God is Not needed: How Religion helps some people

by Me

Christopher Hitchens was 'famous' to talk against the child-genital mutilation.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_female_genital_mutilation   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_male_circumcision

Religion does help people, but that's peanuts compared to all the injustice and suffering it causes.

"God is not needed: How religion slows down/blocks moral evolution"

by Me

1 minute ago, Itoero said:

Christopher Hitchens was 'famous' to talk against the child-genital mutilation.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_female_genital_mutilation   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_male_circumcision

Religion does help people, but that's peanuts compared to all the injustice and suffering it causes.

"God is not needed: How religion slows down/blocks moral evolution"

by Me

Stop blaming human injustice on religion, that's like blaming Marx for what Lenin did or blaming Nietzsche for what Hitler did.

3 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Christopher Hitchens was 'famous' to talk against the child-genital mutilation.   

He changed my view about Mother Teresa that is for sure, lol. His gripe with her is more anti catholic rather than with her in particular I think.

He came across as a grumpy old sod and wasn't very diplomatic when addressing those with a faith - but spoke pretty clearly and plainly and I find it hard to argue against most of the points he raises on most topics he has spoken on.  I am a fan.

Regarding books  -  I wasn't joking earlier in the thread when I said "The God Delusion" by Dawkins.  Good book. Saw a youtube vid by some creationist trying to 'debunk' points in the book  -  it was just embarrassing. The guy mis quote and misunderstood almost every point he was arguing on. Still...  some take the 'debunking of the god delusion' vid as sure proof that Dawkins doesn't know what he is talking about....  even though they have failed to debunk a single point. lol.   

2 minutes ago, DrP said:

He changed my view about Mother Teresa that is for sure, lol. His gripe with her is more anti catholic rather than with her in particular I think.

He came across as a grumpy old sod and wasn't very diplomatic when addressing those with a faith - but spoke pretty clearly and plainly and I find it hard to argue against most of the points he raises on most topics he has spoken on.  I am a fan.

Regarding books  -  I wasn't joking earlier in the thread when I said "The God Delusion" by Dawkins.  Good book. Saw a youtube vid by some creationist trying to 'debunk' points in the book  -  it was just embarrassing. The guy mis quote and misunderstood almost every point he was arguing on. Still...  some take the 'debunking of the god delusion' vid as sure proof that Dawkins doesn't know what he is talking about....  even though they have failed to debunk a single point. lol.   

I haven't read either but I'd be happy to debate both, not because of a God, but despite it/he/she.

For instance, "religion poisons everything" as a premise, is complete bollocks.

18 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Stop blaming human injustice on religion, that's like blaming Marx for what Lenin did or blaming Nietzsche for what Hitler did.

Not all human injustice is due to religion but a lot of it is.

Do you deny that child-genital mutilation, child sexual abuse(by  priests), islam-terrorism, islam sexual terrorism, injustice concerning apostates/atheists (islam+christiannity) is because of religion?

Imo the believe in god(s) was necessary, but not anymore.

Edited by Itoero

Just now, Itoero said:

Do you deny that child-genital mutilation, child sexual abuse(by  priests), islam-terrorism, islam sexual terrorism, injustice concerning apostates/atheists (islam+christiannity) is because of religion?

Of course not, do you deny, Lenin's atrocities is because of what Marx wrote or Hitlers because of Nietzsche. People write all sorts of things and those things can be distorted and used to support whatever evil plan you decide is reasonable.

The Bible is just a book.

16 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Not all human injustice is due to religion but a lot of it is.

Not all human injustice is due to politics but a lot is. 

18 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

For instance, "religion poisons everything" as a premise, is complete bollocks.

The title is trop provoking but it's a well chosen title nevertheless. For example: islamterrorism is not causal related with Islam. But islam forms a breeding ground which creates injustice and poisons morality...which  'promotes' terrorism.

11 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Please note, religion is equal to ethnic origin.

Huh? That makes no sense. There are, for example, Buddhists with a wide range of ethnicities. Some of them are, lets say, Indian. But not all Indians are Buddhists. (And Indians are not a single ethnic group, anyway). And, of course, people can change their religion. 

45 minutes ago, Itoero said:

The first two are definitely not because of of religion.

(I'm not convinced that Islamic terrorism is primarily religiously motivated but that would be going too far off topic.)

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Huh? That makes no sense. There are, for example, Buddhists with a wide range of ethnicities. Some of them are, lets say, Indian. But not all Indians are Buddhists. (And Indians are not a single ethnic group, anyway). And, of course, people can change their religion. 

In the context of the meme provided.

• 8 months later...

King James Version of the Bible .. I`ve been 41 years with it .. often with Strong`s Concordance .. not one error in the KJV, though I have found at least one significant error in Strong`s.   An example of accuracy and intent in the KJV is when the soldiers come to John the Baptist, `What must we do to inherit the kingdom of God.`John Baptist said, `Do violence to no man ...`  This is in complete agreement with Jesus saying, `Put up thy sword, those who live by the sword will die by the sword.`   Most other versions allow for war by having John say something like, `shake no man violently`as if in a situation other than war.   Likewise the word `corn` (in Egypt.)  The word Corn is popularly said to have meant any grain, and Maize was supposed to in the western hemisphere only, but stone images of corn cobs have been found on ancient temples in India, and Herodotus gave a perfect description of maize in one of his books.   `The Olmecs of Central America had Black African origin, and Africa and the western hemisphere had easy and regular trade at the time of the Egyptian empire, as did India and Egypt, so maize would certainly have come to `the east.`  Why it didn`t make it to Europe, and why it disappeared in the middle east, may have had something to do with the wheat and barley cartels.