science experiment (kinda)

blike

I want to scientifically determine the validity of a certain "theory" some off-the-wall psuedoscientific site is putting out. I don't have the URL off hand, but its some gun you can "build" to break up clouds. Sounds pretty wack, right? Wait till you hear the explanation of why it works.

The problem comes with the actual observations of the results. Basically I'll be observing the clouds to see what happens when this "gun" is pointed at them. So how should I measure this?

My plan is to build the gun and randomly assign clouds to point the gun at. I'll also assign control clouds that are measured, but which the gun is not pointed at. Then I'll assign clouds to point the gun at, but not activate the mechanism that supposedly triggers the response in the clouds. This way I'll not only have assessed whether or not it works, but also the theory behind it.

I just need to know how I should "measure" this.... no breakup, mild breakup, total breakup? Something like that? How can I put this into quantifiable data so someone could repeat the experiment...

suggestions?

If you saw why it worked, you would instantly declare it bull, as I have. Basically its water running through some kind of tube, and a copper barrel pointed at the clouds. Supposedly theres some kind of life force that water carries that is channeled through the barrel and somehow breaks up clouds. I'll have to look up the webpage, its saved on a disk somewhere.

I'm interested in this because someone showed me a smaller scale one they had built, and to my shock/horror it functioned very well. He demonstrated it three times on three different clouds, but that doesn't eliminate chance. Thats why I'm interested. If I build this and do it under controlled conditions, hopefully I can show him its BS.

Why am I wasting time showing him its BS? Because I have free time on my hands, and it would be a project to work on.

you'll also have to pick different days, and different areas as well... I mention different areas because I've seen some really wierd recurring events that can only be attributed to the lie of the land - such as con coatlines, or sharply rising lonely mountains and so on.

yea, I was going to do different days, but I probably won't be able to do different areas. All of florida pretty much has wierd weather.

Somehow this got moved to psuedoscience, but psuedoscience would be pushing this theory with a lack of proper scientific evidence. I'm not pushing the theory, I want to test it scientifically.

If I use the scientific method to test the hypothesis, then it isn't psuedoscience, no matter what the hypothesis is.

don't pick small ones as they usually come about for some localised reason, such as the top of a hill, or sudden rush of warm air.

Won't have to worry about this too much in florida. There are no hills within a few hundred miles of where I live. All our air is warm, we never get any cold air. I'll try to avoid thin, whispy clouds though, they have a tendency to form and disappear within minutes.

Originally posted by blike

Won't have to worry about this too much in florida. There are no hills within a few hundred miles of where I live. All our air is warm, we never get any cold air. I'll try to avoid thin, whispy clouds though, they have a tendency to form and disappear within minutes.

no hills and warm air.... do you have a free room I can move in to?

If we all thought like me, we'd be much farther ahead because we wouldn't deal with the ravings of crackpots whose ideas have no scientific merit whatsoever. Remind me to restrict your posting privileges to the pseudoscience forum only, psychopath. Remember your little tirade in the chat room that said Nibiru was going to hit earth last august? Fool.

Originally posted by fafalone

If we all thought like me, we'd be much farther ahead because we wouldn't deal with the ravings of crackpots whose ideas have no scientific merit whatsoever. Remind me to restrict your posting privileges to the pseudoscience forum only, psychopath. Remember your little tirade in the chat room that said Nibiru was going to hit earth last august? Fool.

There's a chatroom?

Something tells me Adam doesn't want to stay in pseudoscience.

Probably because of all the gnawed bones in there :)

Originally posted by Sayonara³

There's a chatroom?

Something tells me Adam doesn't want to stay in pseudoscience.

Probably because of all the gnawed bones in there :)

and something tell me Sayonara³ is little TOO obsessed over me , replying to my every post. =)

Psuedoscience is a way to discover the mysteries of reality.

Originally posted by fafalone

what are you talking about? Planet x is on it's way.