Genetics textbook for the not-quite-beginner?

shortie11

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a guide to genetics and genetic techniques. I am a new PhD student who feels a little bit out of depth when it comes to the genetic side of things - I don't know much about PCR, in situ hybridizations etc but am going to have to employ those techniques soon and feel a bit overwhelmed by it all because I'm rusty on the basics. Can anyone suggest something that's not geared at the casual reader, but still easy enough to follow? Much appreciated :)

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a guide to genetics and genetic techniques. I am a new PhD student who feels a little bit out of depth when it comes to the genetic side of things - I don't know much about PCR, in situ hybridizations etc but am going to have to employ those techniques soon and feel a bit overwhelmed by it all because I'm rusty on the basics. Can anyone suggest something that's not geared at the casual reader, but still easy enough to follow? Much appreciated :)

Strachan and Read - Human Molecular Genetics. Your one-stop shop for all things molecular genetics and more.

I'd also recommend Roger Miesfeld - Applied Molecular Genetics for a slightly (but not much more) advanced take on recombinant DNA techniques and basics of molecular genetics.