Mg

budullewraagh

The rectangular blades? I’d say no, I’ve seen them rust. Maybe if the sharpener has a metal body….. that could be magnesium. If you look inside an electric pencil sharpener you will find a metal cylinder with spiral grooves on it that does the cutting of the pencil, I suspect this would be the magnesium part. I’ve not seen this cylinder rust, but other than that, I have no idea.

Al does not easily dissolve in cold concentrated acids such as sulphuric and nitric because of an oxide coating.......Mg will react with nitric acid in a jify....in fact even with extremely low concentrations

I figured it was the body not the blade of those old cheapies. An HDD chassis is a part of a Hard Disk Drive, it holds the disks, the arm and the circuitry together.

Hmm, I’m gonna go shave off a piece of my old Western Digital Caviar 21200 and try and burn it, its a whole 1281.9 MB, wow! I wonder if 1995 is old enough

Most old HDD-s are surely aluminium. It must be some particular brand that used magnesium or maybe those really old HDD-s that had sizes less than 30 Mb?

I do not know is this of interest for anyone but i have seen something in shop that was called "magnesium electrode for water boiler". It was aproximately 20 cm length & 1...2cm of diameter. And it was indeed very light magnesiumlike metal. Does anyone know more about such thing?

If anyone has any HDDs smaller than 30 megs, they’re more valuable in a museum than your amateur experiments. Apparently you can find bars of magnesium in stores that sell camping supplies for use as ‘fire starters’, but I don’t know for sure cause we don’t have any stores like that here.

I’ve never heard of anything called a "magnesium electrode for water boiler", and Google returns very few hits for things like "magnesium electrode".

If anyone has any HDDs smaller than 30 gigs, they’re more valuable in a museum than your amateur experiments.

you mean megs, surely, right?

my father has a comp that has a hard drive of probably just a few megs; certainly under 30.

i'll check camping stores for Mg starters