Robots???

Freeman

Why a robot? It’s difficult to combine organic systems with mechanical ones and mechanical systems that imitate organics are usually pathetically bad at it. Why not create some form of clone and transplant the brain into the clone (disregarding ethics and assuming clone is created without a brain).

I have to agree with tesseract that it’s not possible right now to transfer a brain into a robot's body. It’s not really a problem with supplying blood; that’s the easy part. The brain cannot survive without a body to support it. The brain requires a vast array of chemicals, biofeedback hormone regulation systems, filtration, and removal of toxins that only the organs can supply. It’s not just as simple as providing basic nutrients and blood. Not to mention the difficulties with providing mechanical and electrical systems that would adequately supply sensory information to the organic brain. The technology does not exist now but it probably will some day. But again with all these difficulties we would probably use organic systems with some sort of cloning-why reinvent the wheel.

True what sayonara said, it would last more than 300 hundred years i may suppose.

(how do i get this cifer, from no where, but i am taking in count that brain works by electricity that means cell breaking chemical reactions, at some sort of time, it will be generating degenerative shortcircuits, and finaly become unfunctional).

But before thinking into mixing, copy or reproducing a brain content, we should think how does identity work....

which should be the goal.. if live longer is the goal, then genetics would be the solution... body transfers and stuff... and for intelligence, then it would be better a computer algorithm. or what do you think?

How could such a transplant be feasible ? 2 main resaons why it should not are :

1) The large number of connections that would need to be first severed to remove the brain and then re-attached in the correct manner.

2) To make such a transplant work we would first need to know exactly what part of the brain means exactly what message via a particular signal sent by it. In essence, the complete functionality(bar no aspects) of the human brain, which is still unknown.

it might be a little "easier" if you took the entire spinal column and attatch to the nerves that come off that, that at least has the advantage of giving an aproximate nerve grouping at each vertebrae for certain muscle groups and sensor nerves :)

don`t just take the CPU, take the Motherboard :)

If you take the entire spinal column won't you just complicate things further ? Now you have the entire nervous system's neural network to re-connect into an electric circuit via transducer/interpreter circuits......even harder problem maybe

yeah, i think in theory this works, but as everyone has pointed out, it would be far too dificult to actually carry out, with spending millions, that is..... but yes, the 'theoritcalyy possible' part is there

The brain would die at the end of its lifetime whether it was in a biological body or robotic body. The reactivity of oxygen is what causes death by old age. The very nutrient that keeps us going is what eventually makes our cells pack in. Hence it doesn't matter what kind of body supplies oxygen (and other nutrients) to the brain it would still die anyway.

it might be a little "easier" if you took the entire spinal column and attatch to the nerves that come off that' date=' that at least has the advantage of giving an aproximate nerve grouping at each vertebrae for certain muscle groups and sensor nerves :)

don`t just take the CPU, take the Motherboard :)[/quote']

That's a good idea. It would solve a huge number of problems.

The main thing I don't think can be overcome is the brains' sensitivity to chemistry. It's not just neurotransmitters that would have to be understood, but the sum effects of the total endocrine system on the brain. It's not just direct nerve input that influences the brain. Hormones in the blood provide a kind of propreoceptive feedback system and also influence neurological function significantly. Even pH has an effect (you see somebody who is acidotic for example) and the margin for error is extremely small.

True what sayonara said' date=' it would last more than 300 hundred years i may suppose.(how do i get this cifer, from no where, but i am taking in count that brain works by electricity that means cell breaking chemical reactions, at some sort of time, it will be generating degenerative shortcircuits, and finaly become unfunctional).

[/quote']

That would mean you need some kind of a way to keep the brain alive for such a long time. Something like that seems very hard as that the current lab cells that are kept in the petri dish are no longer reproducing after their 50th time or so.

Also, you forgot to take into account things like cell aging, free radical damage and any possible genetic problems that the Brain has a chance of developing: eg: alzheimer's. etc.

On a side note, if it is possible to drop a brain into a metalic body of a robot, wouldn't that create a Cyborg instead of a Robot?

Something like that seems very hard as that the current lab cells that are kept in the petri dish are no longer reproducing after their 50th time or so.

Neurons do not reproduce.......... they are probably the oldest cells in your body.

True what sayonara said, it would last more than 300 hundred years i may suppose.

To be honest I was thinking of it lasting more like 300 seconds, due to the horribly complex requirements for keeping a brain alive.

Freeman hasn't specified any level of technology - if he's talking current tech then there's no way we can do it.