What games are you currently playing?

williamthegreat

I've been watching the videos for Starcraft II and I have to say that while it looks pretty it really doesn't look like it will be that great of a game.

For one, SC2 takes the rock/paper/scissors paradigm and makes it the ruler of the battlefield. Units are TOO specialized in the new release.

Second, they went a little (ok a lot) overboard on particle effects. I get a headache watching large forces attack one another. I can't imagine micromanaging such an encounter to make sure each rock focuses on scissor targets and scissors focus on paper, etc.

I can only assume that there is some underlying AI (or just impossibility matrix) that will govern this.. like ground attack units will focus on most appropriate units. This is likely the case, in my mind, as some units (brood lord for example) have a skill that forces opposing units to redirect fire.

Finally, at it's base it is just too much a prettier version of SC with what appears to be frustrating and unfortunate game mechanics thrown in.

Yesterday, I played a hacked version of the SC2 beta, which allows to play offline with some easy computer oponents, and believe me - it's sooo much fun! :D

The graphics are not, imo, overboard. In small battles and rushes it feels almost the same as SC1.

There aren't that many variety of units, however, which leads me to think that there is big probability that expansion pack will be released, similar to Brood War and The Frozen Throne.

I really can't wait untill the final release. :)

I've just finished playing Mass Effect 2, which I had to wait a month for, because the order was screwed up. It was good while it lasted, well written et.c but seemed to be over really quickly (I blame the structure of the missions / story for that.)

I'm sure the game relies on replay value, you get extra perks when playing through again, but I see that as more of a chore than anything.

I've also been playing the excruciatingly poor Avatar game, which I downloaded solely as a graphics test for SLI. It uses a modified engine from Far Cry 2 (I forget the name), and does look incredible on my set up...the game itself, is dire.

I've also had a few games on Civilization IV recently, where I believe Civilization V is due out soon...so something to look forward to.

I've just finished playing Mass Effect 2, which I had to wait a month for, because the order was screwed up. It was good while it lasted, well written et.c but seemed to be over really quickly (I blame the structure of the missions / story for that.)

I'm sure the game relies on replay value, you get extra perks when playing through again, but I see that as more of a chore than anything.

I've also been playing the excruciatingly poor Avatar game, which I downloaded solely as a graphics test for SLI. It uses a modified engine from Far Cry 2 (I forget the name), and does look incredible on my set up...the game itself, is dire.

I've also had a few games on Civilization IV recently, where I believe Civilization V is due out soon...so something to look forward to.

Yea I wanna get around to ME2 soon..Does it let you continue your game to play side missions after the main quests or do you have to start the game over like in the first one?

I've played all the Far Cry games and it's odd that they would use the same engine for avatar..The engine is Dunia I believe..

peace

Does it let you continue your game to play side missions after the main quests or do you have to start the game over like in the first one?

Once you progress beyond certain point, you cannot go back and the story moves somewhat straightforward. After finishing it, however, you can start all over again with your old character and all his abilities and experience.

Does it let you continue your game to play side missions after the main quests or do you have to start the game over like in the first one?

You have to start the game over.

The engine is Dunia I believe..

I just double checked, and you're right, albeit it's a heavily modified version of the Dunia engine.

Isn't the standard game to test your machines graphics capability at the moment going to be Crysis?

Crysis is pretty old now. Even my heap of junk can play Crysis at max resolution and max settings with 30+ fps.

I did enjoy playing Mass Effect 2 though. (! played it through twice. Once maxing paragon and once maxing renegade.)

Leader Bee is right, Crysis / Crysis 2 is still the benchmark, because the Crytek engine is still the most background heavy graphics engine to date, despite it's age.

I was looking for other things in my test, which I simply can't be bothered to explain right now.

I Play a bunch of games on multiple console systems.

E- represents expansion

s- multiples

For Computer i play;

1) Dawn of War 1 (Es), 2

2) Mark of Chaos and its expansion

3) Empire Earth E

4) EVE Online <almost my fave

5) Starcraft E

6) Diablo 1 E, 2 E

7) Stronghold (all of em)

8) WoW

9) DOOM 1,2 with Jmod and Zmod and the unofficial Doom3 (D2 graphics) not the Doom remake

Playstation:

1) Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

2) Demon Souls < GOD THIS GAME IS HARD!>

3) MAG

4) Ninja Gaiden

5) Oblivian Eldar scrolls

6) Dragon Age Origins < DO NOT get this game for PS3, gfx issues.. get it for computer is a Good game but has some issues.

i think a few more but i cant remeber.

and yes i play ALL of these, i kinda rotate.. ill play computer one day .. or 2 then play playstation.. for a few.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm so yesterday...

I'm currently into Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots. I only play the Conquer the World campaign. I really wanted a modern graphic version of Risk, that provided some level of strategic battle control and this is as close as I've found. I do enjoy the battles, and the control, once I have an army built.

Although, I really wish I didn't have to do the tedious nation building for each battle. It's kind of stupid. I go to all this trouble to build an army and conquer some territory - then, next battle, they're gone. I'm back to having virtually no army, and having to build another one. I don't get that. Ruins the strategy when maneuvering forces on the map.