how does an electric guitar work?

RandomGuy3000

hi there,

im new to this website and this is my first thread, dont know what to expect but i have high hopes. so here goes.

i am doing some research on how electric guitars work, i have some basic ideas of how the vibration of the string is converted into electricity via the pickup.

but im still not sure.

here are the things i need help with

1. how do standing waves relate to guitars?

2. how is the frequency of the note affected by the properties of the string?

3. how does the pick-up work?

4. how do we adjust the output volume of the guitar?

any help is appreciated, thank you.

i hope this is the right section

If they're anything like the guitar I was working with this evening, they don't!

Anyway, here goes.

#1.

Standing waves or standing frequencies are the natural wavelength of a given object. More usually associated with the room or chamber you are in.

e.g. middle C is at about 260,000hz, it's wavelength is about 1m. so a chamber whose length is a multiple of 1m will resonate better @ middle C. Something taken into consideration when building an acoustic guitar, wind instrument or designing a concert hall for example.

(You can find the standing frequency of your bathroom by humming a variety of pitches. one pitch will sound louder than others.)

The frequency of the note is effected most notable by the length of the string. by pushing down on a particular fret; the string is shortened producing a higher frequency. The tension and gauge (Width) of the string also play a role. if you place your finger on the 12th fret, the strings length is halved, and the frequency is doubled. This increases exponentially.

e.g. 1hz 2hz 4hz 8hz 16hz 32hz 64hz 128hz 256hz 512hz 1024hz & 2056hz all produce a note, each one octave apart. the notes between these octaves are ratios between them. see here for Pythagorean ratios

By (I think) measuring the difference in the magnetic field around the pick-up.

The pick-up is a coil of wire, as the string moves, the field changes, generating an oscillating electrical current.

The output level of the guitar is controlled via a variable resistor on the guitar itself. a 'volume pot'

The weak signal travels down the guitar lead to a power amplifier where the amperage is increased, then sent to a loud speaker.

There are many Wiki articles on this sort of thing if you need more detail