Evolution of the rabies virus? Possible?

Something I've been wondering about a lot as of late is evolutionary of viruses. In particular, I'm interested in the rabies virus. It would appear that it has been around a long time, and since Louis Pasteur created the vaccine, there have been less cases. However, I question the possibility of a rabies revival.

Would it be possible for the rabies virus to evolve and become an epidemic issue again?

Should this be considered like the smallpox virus?

In other words, once eradicated and widespread vaccinations, then it should become obsolete?

Edited by Genecks

Rabies lives on just fine in wild animals... it would be nearly impossible, and politically impossible, to eradicate from the wild. While I don't think it can reach epidemic status, do expect it to stick around a long, long time. Zombie movies aside, transmission via large animal's bite is not a good way to spread a pandemic.

Bites are not the only way it can be obtained. It can also be obtained through aerosol form via salvation combined with air. I'm not too sure how many viruses need to be inhaled for the rabies virus to take hold of the host cells, though. I think there is a term for that in microbiology, but I cannot remember.

I suspect, however, that there aren't cold symptoms involved with this virus, thus causing various animals to sneeze. I'm not sure about that, though.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

As fate would have it, I seem to have come across a virology book today. It was free, as a professor mentioned today without prior notice that another professor retired and his office was being cleaned up. Perhaps after a further examination of this book, I'll have a better way of figuring this issue. Fate is a beautiful yet mischievous woman.

Edited by Genecks
Consecutive posts merged.

• 1 year later...

I dont think Rabies will become a pandemic as some countries (such as my own- New Zealand) do not have the virus nor do we have the vectors that carry it (Racoons, Bats, Wolves, Foxes etc..).

Its virulence means it kills the host before it can be transmitted so I dont think we have to worry about it spreading or the mortality rate increasing in Humans.

What Im interested to know is how has it survived for over 5,000 years?? Perhaps it goes into a dormant state?? Its one of the oldest viruses documented so I guess its had plenty of time to evolve and adapt for survival.

Can anyone shed any light on the evolution of the rabies virus?? Thanks :)

Kellymae, I think that rabies is one of those viruses that infects many species, but kills only a few. In my area skunks raised for several generations in captivity can give the virus to another critter, including humans. SM

Overall, the likelihood is exceedingly low. First, it is usually only transmitted zoonotically and almost always only by direct contact with saliva. Inhalation as infection source is exceedingly rare. Second, it is not endemic in human populations, highly limiting its potential to spread to significant parts of the population.