Do Universities allow you to get a B.Sc if you didn't take high school physics?

CrazCo

I asked my teachers and they weren't sure, and Google is giving me mixed results. I was going to call the University I wish to attend but they aren't available during this time - and I need to know for Monday. I took eleventh grade physics but didn't take 12th grade. I am worried I will need it to go for my B.Sc. Is it required?

I have taken Chemistry, Biology and Environmental science to the highest levels possible.

And I guess I should also inquire if you wish to pursue be awarded a Bachelor of Science do you need to take any physics classes?

BScs won't depend on anything you take in high school. You'll have to get the credit in college one way or the other, either through AP exams (or equivalent) or by taking the actual classes. AP exams are useful, and you'll be able to take more advanced classes sooner, but they are by no means required.

Usually schools require some breadth in your studies. My degree program, for example, requires me to take physics, biology, and chemistry. Some only require you to choose a few classes from any science field. It all depends.

Even though high school classes are not required, do consider what impression they may give on your college application.

So by not taking physics in my senior year there is no way that alone will impact me in being accepted into the B.Sc program? Thank the Lord!

I heard schools often give you the option to take different classes. Like instead of physics you can take say.. Earth Sciences or Geology. I hope Dal is like this.

When they consider whether to accept you they will consider the difficulty of the classes you took in high school, your grades, etc. Not taking physics isn't a problem, so long as you did take challenging classes and did well in them.

Once you're in a program, your high school experience is moot.

So by not taking physics in my senior year there is no way that alone will impact me in being accepted into the B.Sc program? Thank the Lord!

Well... unless your BSc is in Physics.

But from the tone of your question I am guessing not :D

Well... unless your BSc is in Physics.

But from the tone of your question I am guessing not :D

of course. :D You wont really need physics qualifications to do a chemistry or biology BSc. If you do a BSc in Physics though then it would be useful to have done it earlier, otherwise your BSc will be very hard due to your lack of background knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

At my university if you don't take a physics throughout highschool you are recomended to take an introductory physics and then you have to do 2 physics (waves and one thats a bit more general). I guess it depends on your university.

It depends on the program, but often, yes, you have to take two college semesters of physics.

Also, your highest math level can determine what math classes you must take in the university.

It can also determine what choice in physics classes you may take.

Edited by Genecks