Help translate psychology research talk into layman's terms?

Tealparadise

I figured that this would be the best place to ask, even though this is not homework. I'm trying to look into this research project so that I can apply to volunteer there- but I'm completely lost in the language. I get that it's looking into the causes of schizophrenia, which is something I'm very interested in. Help?

"My laboratory studies plasticity and neural adaptation in mesocorticolimbic systems. We have focused on the nucleus accumbens (NAc) due to its involvement in addiction and certain symptoms of schizophrenia (i.e., sensorimotor gating deficits), but we are currently developing strategies for elucidating caudate dysfunction which may afford a more unified model of etiology in schizophrenia. Furthermore, the lack of plasticity and consequent behavioral rigidity which this model attributes to caudate dysfunction are common features of other neuropsychiatric disorders, such as autism, obsessive-compulsive disorder and Tourette syndrome. This work is interdisciplinary, involving cellular and molecular neurobiology and neuropsychopharmacology, and translational by nature, permitting the extension of our basic research findings into potential therapies for neuropsychiatric disorders."

more at http://bms.medicine.arizona.edu/research/researchBio.cfm?ID=14. if anyone feels adventurous...

Perhaps this will help:

"My laboratory studies THE WAY NERVE CELLS GROW AND TRIM THEMSELVES (plasticity) and neural adaptation in AN AREA OF THE BRAIN INVOLVED WITH NEUROTRANSMITTERS, MOTIVATION, AND COGNITIVE THINKING THAT IS LOCATED NEAR THE CENTER OF OUR SKULLS WITH ALL OF THE EMOTIONAL STUFF, AND IS ALSO CONNECTED TO THE FRONT OF THE BRAIN WITH ALL OF THE MATH AND PROBLEM SOLVING STUFF (mesocorticolimbic systems).

We have focused on AN AREA STRONGLY RELATED TO PLEASURE AND REWARD (nucleus accumbens (NAc)) due to its involvement in addiction and certain symptoms of schizophrenia (i.e., PROBLEMS WITH MUSCLES MOVING AFTER RECEIVING A STIMULUS THROUGH ONE OF THE SENSES LIKE TOUCH OR VISION (sensorimotor gating deficits)), but we are currently developing strategies for DESCRIBING MORE CLEARLY PROBLEMS IN AN AREA STRONGLY RELATED TO MEMORY AND LEARNING (elucidating caudate dysfunction) which may afford a more unified model of THE CAUSES OF (etiology in) schizophrenia.

Furthermore, the lack of THE NERVOUS SYSTEM'S ABILITY TO GROW AND CHANGE (plasticity) and THE RESULTING WAY THAT PEOPLE TEND TO ALWAYS BEHAVE THE SAME WAY WHEN THAT HAPPENS (consequent behavioral rigidity) which this model SUGGESTS IS THE RESULT OF PROBLEMS IN THAT AREA IN THE BRAIN RELATED TO MEMORY AND LEARNING (attributes to caudate dysfunction) are common features of other neuropsychiatric disorders, such as autism, obsessive-compulsive disorder and Tourette syndrome.

This work INVOLVES MANY FIELDS, SUCH AS (is interdisciplinary, involving) cellular and molecular neurobiology and THE STUDY OF HOW DRUGS AND CHEMICALS IMPACT THE BRAIN AND BEHAVIOR (neuropsychopharmacology), and APPLIES TO MANY OTHER FIELDS (translational by nature), permitting OUR WORK TO BE USED BY LOTS OF FOLKS (the extension of our basic research findings into potential therapies for neuropsychiatric disorders.)"

Good luck with your volunteer efforts. :)

I just want you to know that the PhD now wants to have a meeting to discuss me starting at the lab :) which I consider thanks to you!

I appreciate the kind words, but YOU are the one who took the initiative to go learn what something meant when you didn't know. THAT is where the credit should go, so don't sell yourself short.

You encountered something you did not understand. You were bright enough to know it was important. You asked questions, and took steps to learn more. Nice work. :)

Good luck with everything.