Science is mean to people whose ideas suck

swansont

I lifted that from the comments of the linked post. In light of some recent exchanges, it resonated.

We discuss peer-review and issues of getting published from time to time. Here's something I ran across that discusses it a little. It's in the latter half of the post.

http://recursed.blogspot.com/2010/02/susan-mazur-perpetually-clueless.html

Is it bad that I found Mazur's articles even funnier? The idea of a science mafia is kind of cool. "You have not provided confidence intervals" *sound of breaking bones*

I kind of like Darth Vader in that role. "I find your lack of error bars disturbing" *sounds of suffocation*

Life is mean to people whose ideas suck.

Science generally won't kill you for having a bad idea like thinking that strawberry jam will act as s hark repellent; reality will.

I'll see your shark repellent jam, and raise you a vampire repellent pendant.

In science only the best ideas will be given any consideration. In life, you can muddle along with really dumb ideas that have little negative effect. Life, of course, can be much more brutal, whether or not you are relying on bad ideas.

I don't swim much, even less in the ocean, and even if I did and thought I could repel sharks with strawberry jam, I am extremely unlikely to ever get eaten by a shark.

Genuine 'Science' is not mean - 'Scientists', on the other hand....

I have to disagree with this. Scientists will question the validity of someone's theory because that's what the process of science demands. It does not imply that they are doing so because they like being mean, though that's a possible motivation.

• 1 year later...

The other thread is about ridicule

mean ≠ ridicule

There's a large swath of people for whom contradiction is being mean. You can brutally point out errors with out once resorting to ridicule.

And an equal tranche for whom contradiction is equivalent to ridicule. Any brutal destruction of an idea through exposure of its inconsistencies automatically shows it to be ridiculous.

Here's something I ran across that discusses it a little. It's in the latter half of the post.

http://recursed.blogspot.com/2010/02/susan-mazur-perpetually-clueless.html

The thing that's twisted and strange, but typical I suppose -- that blog was written in Feb. 2010. The first bit,

She [suzan Mazur] claims "Jerry Fodor and Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini report colleagues attempted to silence them from publishing in their new book..."

Suzan Mazur apparently believed the science Gestapo was trying to silence Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini and keep him from publishing his book.

Smash cut to three months later and Massimo Piatelli (a different person with an ironically similar name) wrote "Nonsense on Stilts: How to Tell Science from Bunk". The book mentions Suzan as, I would guess, some kind of trumpet for pseudo-science and conspiracy theories.

Suzan tried straight away to get the publisher to remove the book from circulation.

Edited by Iggy

The thing that's twisted and strange, but typical I suppose -- that blog was written in Feb. 2010. The first bit,

Susan Mazur apparently believed the science Gestapo was trying to silence Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini and keep him from publishing his book.

Smash cut to three months later and Massimo Piatelli (a different person with an ironically similar name) wrote "Nonsense on Stilts: How to Tell Science from Bunk". The book mentions Susan as, I would guess, some kind of trumpet for pseudo-science and conspiracy theories.

Susan tried straight away to get the publisher to remove the book from circulation.

I'd say she was being hypocritical in this instance. Journalist.