EMP against Nuclear?

JoeSF35

No. :P We just got done establishing that nukes are made with circuitry that will almost completely, if not completely, resist an EMP device - so, nothing would happen. Don't worry, scanning the page comes back to haunt everyone once or twice. :D

dirty nukes arent :D

Nor are all the electronic devices in the area where a dirty-nuke could be used.

Would it be worth nocking out most of the electronic devices in a larger metropolitian area, to disable a dirty-nuke?

What if the emp is just as likely to set off an improvised dirty-bomb/nuke?

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

If I was acting as the government and looking at these possible options:

1. Doing nothing

2. Setting off an EMP

3. Sending in special agents

I'd go with 3.

If we set off an EMP at the very best most electronics are destoryed and at the worse the EMP sets off the nuke itself. If either of those happen, you're going to have a ton of people complaining one way or another. With unhappy people come protest and possibly riots. Not pretty.

With 3 you may stop the nuke and if so you're the hero. Nothing is broken and people love the government. If you fail you can deny ever knowing anything about it in the first place and blame the terrorist. You rally the people to your cause and go to war. By the time anyone figures out the goverment knew anything in the first place, the point is moot.

Seems like the best option for the government, but not nessarily the people.

I'd go for number 4: sending in special agents, carrying an emergency backup EMP. If they can't find it, or do and can't do anything about it, then absolute worst case - you know it's going to go off, so doing nothing is pointless - they use the EMP. Always have an escape route, a backup plan. Or so I've been told. :D That's what I'd go with, at least.