Pentium 4

mister_me

Wait a bit. Buy an AMD clawhammer (on an nForce chipset motherboard), or take advantage of the price drop in other processors when the hammer chips finally appear.

Or buy the 64-bit chip that Intel "don't have" *cough cough*.

Anyway, what on earth do you need a 3Ghz P4 for at the moment?

If you want more power than 3 gigs, then you could get a dual processor machine from Alienware. They work great. Their only downside is that they require these huge fans to cool them. They sound somewhere between a blow dryer and a vacuum cleaner when in use.

2.8 gigs is just fine. Why would you possibly spend huge money for .2 more gigs? Actually, Dell has some good deals.

Dude, get a Dell.:cool2:

I've been considering either a P4 2.66GHz or an Athlon XP 2700+ in my new computer if i'm unable to resolve my current hardware problems. Besides the obvious differences in cost, which will perform better for high-end gaming, graphic design, and mathematics-intense applications?

Originally posted by fafalone

I've been considering either a P4 2.66GHz or an Athlon XP 2700+ in my new computer if i'm unable to resolve my current hardware problems. Besides the obvious differences in cost, which will perform better for high-end gaming, graphic design, and mathematics-intense applications?

The Athlon, especially if your motherboard supports the absurdly high bus speed. Such motherboards are more future-proof anyway.

No game needs such hardware anyway, the limiting factor is usually graphics card/bus speed/hard disc speed, depending on what you are doing.

If you're doing lots of rendering and/or mathematics stuff you could get a dual athlon system.

If you're doing such things and you have the money then you should wait for the 64-bit clawhammer/ opteron, as such things will support it eventually.

If things are tight, waiting for a little while will cause the price of high-end athlons and associated bits an pieces to drop when the clawhammer appears (which is what i was planning to do).

Having a motherboard thats supports PC2700 DDR-RAM, ATA-133/150, a 200Mhz FSB and AGP 8x is the main thing atm.