A study of the formation of Quasars

yheyman

The paper may be downloaded at the following link: http://fr.calameo.com/books/000145333477ac4808aec

SUMMARY:

The principal objective of this study was to investigate the formation and evolution of quasars.

First, a method to build the count density-distance curve for quasars was

proposed. Then, the relative magnitude of quasars versus time was investigated, and led to a first order rate kinetics for the decay of quasars. From the first order rate decay, we could conclude that relative magnitude is a good measure of the quasar nuclear activity.

We found out that quasars were formed by coalescence in a period between 10 and 12.5 Gyr ago. This observation provides us some insights on the environmental conditions under which they were formed (collision rate, density of the universe, and chaotic conditions).

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my question about quasars. In order for a quasar to be visible it must be aligned at the proper angle with us. One of the jets needs to be pointing somewhat in our direction. If the jets are perpendicular to the line between us and the quasar, it will be invisible because the bright spot is concealed by a massive donut of gas and dust around it. If it is pointed directly at us it is called a "blazar". My question is at approximately what angle of alignment does a quasar become visible to us? Are blazars, quasars, and active galaxtic nuclei (AGN) all the same thing, and the only difference between them is the angle of it's jets relative to Earth?

Edited by Airbrush

The author is Tom Heymann. You? or a family member?

In any case, congratulations on a nice piece of work.

I don't know how to catagorize this, however. The author is, I would guess, a student at the EPF-Lausanne. (Ecole poly. fed.) But is it usual for Swiss bachelor students to produce papers like this? Clearly a lot of work went into this paper.

It is impressive. But not yet, I think, at a level of scientific journal publication.