calculating time with spreadsheet

programAngel

Hi

I need to use excel or any type of spreadsheet to calculate my work hours.

In other words I need to calculate how many hours did I work.

Anyway I used excel in one square I write the time that I begin, like for example 5:30, in other square I write the time I finished to work like 14:00.

Now what function can I used that it will calculate that time that I worked in hour unit.

So that in the case of the example it will give me 8.5 hours.

Thanks for the help.

Only way I could see this work is if you convert the times to decimal so the 8:30 would become 8.5, then you can just use the normal math functions built into excel for it, but that won't work well if you get off at strange times like 8:27.

That is why I ask whether there is a function in spreadsheet that can calculate this without me changing 8:30 to 8.5

You might be looking for something like this?

=HOUR(B1-A1) + MINUTE(B1-A1)/60

Where A1 is the beginning time, B1 is the end time.

A1, B1 would be formatted as simple time, the result cell would be formatted as general

openoffice calc can do this if the cells containing the times are formatted as containing a time.

i imagine excel should do this too, if it can't then it isn't really much of a spreadsheet program as they are commonly used to contain and calculate time based data. try looking in the help.