Car differential

ironizer

I want to build an RC car so I can familiarize myself with the machine shop at my school. The car will be simple and I have everything figured out except the differential.

I want to put an electric brushless motor on the rear axle, but I don't think I could just have 1 drive shaft for both rear wheels and gear it up that way. I need to figure out how to make a differential so the outer wheel can rotate faster during turns.

I know most RC cars have some system like this but I haven't been able to figure out how it works. Also I can't seem to figure out how to invent one myself so I need some links/ideas.

The tools available to me are: precision lathes, 2-axis mills, water jet cutter, bandsaw, grinders, drills, hand tools, etc...

Any help appreciated.

Hmm...

nevermind I guess, I invented my own. Got the idea last night, this design uses 3 gears and a lever. Basically if one wheel is slowed down, it will transfer the rest of the torque to the other wheel. Super simple, works on relative motion between two gears.

Now I just need to learn how to draw in Solidworks so I can mill these out.