Clones:- Right or Wrong?

what do you think of cloning, we know the purposes, uses, and how it could be done, but is it really ethically right?

do people have the right to do it?

what if something goes wrong?

im not talking about the actual law in each country, what im talking about is the basics ethics, the moral law, not the country's law...

what do you think?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theraputic human cloning can potentially cure dozens of diseases and problems, including heart disease, liver disease, Parkinson's, diabetes, paralysis, blindness, and baldness.

I don't know anyone who approves of reproductive human cloning.

Theraputic or reproductive is wrong?

Keep in mind, with theraputic cloning, you aren't growing an entire human. You grow a dish of stem cells that will specialize into a needed type of cell. You just need a cheek swab of the person to be cloned and an empty embryo (which is a possible moral dilemma, but not IMO).

I assume you know this, but haven't read any other threads on cloning.

everyone says reproductive cloning [of a whole person] is wrong, but why? whats sooo bad about making a copy of the person, thats what i wanted to know when i started this thread

I see no reason to say reproductive cloning is bad........... the new individual may have the same DNA sequence and all but still would be a completely different individual with different behaviour and thinking.

• 5 months later...

Aren't Identical twins clones...(Ie blastomere separation) and if so I as

an identical twin could be classified as a clone and it could taken further that

any human clone legislation would affect me also?

everyone says reproductive cloning [of a whole person'] is wrong, but why? whats sooo bad about making a copy of the person, thats what i wanted to know when i started this thread

The main problem (at the moment) is a combination of two factors:

1. The ABSURDLY low success rate, even for 'lower' mammals.

2. The suspicions that clones may be more succeptable, possibly through the cloning method, for certain types of genetic diseases.

I think cloning is playing with fire...who knows what impact such inhuman acts carry.Hasnt they already been cases were the cells age really fast....can you imagine recieving a cloned liver transplant or something along those lines without you knowing and your a wrinkled old man in 2 months.....kinda like YT lol

I think cloning is playing with fire...who knows what impact such inhuman acts carry.Hasnt they already been cases were the cells age really fast....can you imagine recieving a cloned liver transplant or something along those lines without you knowing and your a wrinkled old man in 2 months.....kinda like YT lol

Why are they in any way inhuman?

Furthermore, why do you seem to believe that cloned organ transplants would become common without clinical trials?

1.a potential problem with human cloning is when the technology falls into say... bin laden's hands and he makes a super human race.

2. religious ethics say that God created every living cell: cloning goes against that grain for some people.

3.what's the point of human cloning? "there are enough of us as it is": say others

4.clones could become dispensible: where they are just used for a purpose and then disgarded.

pick a reason

1.a potential problem with human cloning is when the technology falls into say... bin laden's hands and he makes a super human race.

That's only cloning if he has already got a super human. Otherwise it's genetic engineering, and given the genome is so complicated, I doubt we're going to see large scale eugenics any time soon.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=clone

2. religious ethics say that God created every living cell

Eh?

3.what's the point of human cloning? "there are enough of us as it is": say others

If you're ignoring basic ethics, then a good reason for it is to have a decent control sample for testing drugs or wombic effects on. Of course, if you go by common ethics, there are still a multitude of things you can do. Hell, you could probably do the things I mentioned already ethically. Clone a fellow who had certain problems, see if the clone grows up with them. Would lead a normal life otherwise.

4.clones could become dispensible: where they are just used for a purpose and then disgarded.

On the other hand, they might not. I don't see why this is a counterargument, anyway. What's so bad about disposable humans?

Hi, my first post on this site.

A good argument for reproductive cloning is infertility, thats if you believe that infertile couples should be assisted to make new people. In these terms the same sort of " messing with nature " debates went on and there were fears for the health of the first test tube baby, now a healthy 20 something year old.

I would envisage that once the technology is available, the problem for reproductive cloning will be who to reproduce, the mother or the father.

Na, that won't be a problem. They'll just pick a thousand smart people, or at least people with common sense , clone them, and destroy everyone else. Just hopefully the guy picking the people knows that people like Dubya aren't smart nor do they have common sense JUST because they went to a good college...

Not that I preferred Kerry...

Rasori, as I get older, It's more apparent to me that common sense is not common. They're more likely to pick those with loads a money. The result , a population dominated by stupid rich people.

Hang on a minute, that sounds familiar, maybe its already happened .........

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....I will agree with Therapeutic cloning, but not with Reproductive. The dangers of cloning people are to great, we can not take such a risk. However, cloning cells, livers, hearts, spleens, that is fine in my eyes. It would be a major break through for medical technology.

Guest tinytigey

okay, lets think about this, would god put us on this grass covered earth to have it polluted and the population go up this high!? I THINK NOT!!!! i think cloning is disgusting and unappropriate, what would your parents say about this!? i know my parents would be VERY disgusted...so please, put a stop to the research of cloning, its rediculous and un-called for

okay, lets think about this, would god put us on this grass covered earth to have it polluted and the population go up this high!? I THINK NOT!!!! i think cloning is disgusting and unappropriate, what would your parents say about this!? i know my parents would be VERY disgusted...so please, put a stop to the research of cloning, its rediculous and un-called for

Are you saying that everyone's parents disapprove of cloning?

You need a better argument than that to even begin to prove a point. Give us logical reasons why it's so "disgusting and unappropriate." [sic]