Why?

lucky45

Why is it that no matter what faith you are,or even if you are an athiist. Why when something goes wrong ,or if a loved one is near death, Why does that person or persons say: OH MY GOD, PLEASE HELP ME OR MY LOVED ONE?

I think that we, or I, search for something supernatural to come to us and save our loved one. Nobody! is exempt from this. Im just trying to understand humanity

Not nobody. I have never done that. I also disagree about "no matter what faith you are." People reach out to what they believe in. If they do that even though they don't particularly believe, then it's probably because they are desperate and willing to try anything, even if it's probably pointless, just because there's nothing else to be done. Or it could just be a language thing. I say "damn it" when I hurt myself, but nowhere in my mind am I trying to send the corner of my coffee table to hell.

Why when something goes wrong ,or if a loved one is near death, Why does that person or persons say: OH MY GOD, PLEASE HELP ME OR MY LOVED ONE?

Actually it is quite simple: Because it is a culturally based linguistic expression.

There are many such cultural expressions that we use and not usually think about the origin or meaning of them.

Why do people swear when they hit their thumb with a hammer? Why not just yell incoherently (well some people do), why use swear words at all?

It is the same answer: Because it is a cultural linguistic expression.

So the reason is that our culture has programmed us as that behaviour is the expected behaviour in that circumstance.

Edtharan is right.

When something goes wrong, I'll shout either "****", or "jesus", or some disease (the Dutch like to shout names of all kinds of diseases).

None of the things I shoult seem to have any relation to the feeling I got. I don't suddenly want sex, I don't suddely want a divine intervention, and I don't want a disease on top of the pain I already experience.

If I am alone, I will not shout anything at all, but just clench my teeth. And if I am abroad I swear in another language.

So, concluding from just my own personal experience, and therefore without generalizing, I say that you shout whatever would be interpreted as a swear word by your environment.

Far more interesting is to see how many hardcore atheists have some superstition. But that's another thread which, now that I mentioned it, will soon be opened.

• 2 weeks later...
For some reason - well to be politically correct(but why specifically), I got in the habit of saying

"Son of a biscuit eater"

All hail the biscuit eater. :D

Edit: when I stump my toe or something.

That is fabulous! I'll have to remember that one as it's much better than some of the words that come out of my mouth when I stump my toe Any particular type of biscuit?