Can I increase the percentage of NAOCL?

oerd

you shuold know exact boiling point at your cond. both water and your chemc. then collect the vapor .first heat.

Except that sodium hypochlorite is a nonvolatile salt. Heat and concentration drive the disproportionation to chlorate and chloride and IIRC, it's unstable above about 20%.

"The conc acid will remove water quicker than normal desiccants"

When the water leaves the solution, how does it know to hurry up because there's some sulphuric acid out there?

Conc sulphuric acid has an affinity for water that is unmatched.

The use of this acid will result in lower humidity within the desiccator vessel, which in turn results in faster evaporation from the solution. The speeding effect may not be spectacular (depending on which desiccant we are replacing) but is there.

I have actually used conc sulphuric to regenerate desiccants such as silica gel, calcium chloride or calcium sulphate.

"Conc sulphuric acid has an affinity for water that is unmatched."

Phosphorus pentoxide will strip the water out of concentrated sulphuric acid and convert it to sulphur trioxide.

Most people find it cheaper and more convenient to regenerate desiccants like silica gel in an oven.

Incidentally, as soon as the acid picks up any water it stops being nearly as good a desiccant.

Other drying agents can pick up more moisture without losing so much of their power so, even if H2SO4 was quicker at first it may lose ground in the end.

If you want to speed things up use a vacuum desiccator. Also it's not generally a good idea to use sulphuric acid as a drying agent because it's rather nasty stuff to work with.

Just use a desiccator jar to remove the water.

A beaker of conc sulphuric acid can be used as a replacement for normal desiccants. The conc acid will remove water quicker than normal desiccants.

no,H2SO4 will react with NaOCl to get chlorine gas free

"Conc sulphuric acid has an affinity for water that is unmatched."

Phosphorus pentoxide will strip the water out of concentrated sulphuric acid and convert it to sulphur trioxide.

Most people find it cheaper and more convenient to regenerate desiccants like silica gel in an oven.

Incidentally, as soon as the acid picks up any water it stops being nearly as good a desiccant.

Other drying agents can pick up more moisture without losing so much of their power so, even if H2SO4 was quicker at first it may lose ground in the end.

If you want to speed things up use a vacuum desiccator. Also it's not generally a good idea to use sulphuric acid as a drying agent because it's rather nasty stuff to work with.

Well yes in P2O5 you have the only chemical desiccant that rates above conc H2SO4 in this table.

http://www.mallbaker.com/techlib/documents/americas/3045.html

But I do not see it as a good choice for this case, as it a severe toxic dust hazard, and tends to form a coating that inactivates itself.

Incidentally are you sure that P2O5 will strip water from conc H2SO4 if they are in separate beakers in the same desiccator rather than in direct contact? I endorsed H2SO4 because it will be found in most labs whereas P2O5 or molecular sieves will not be.

Actually for staying power as a desiccant, conc sulphuric is tops in terms of g/g water capture.

Of course silica gel is most conveniently regenerated in a furnace, all our furnaces were in use at the times I have used conc sulphuric to regenerate desiccants.

From comparing the two MSDSs conc sulphuric is a less hazardous chemical to use. Anyone with some chemical experience will know how to use H2SO4 safely, and any chemicals lab will have the correct equipment. P2O5 appearing as an innocuous white powder can catch people unawares and contamination often happens without people realising at the time.

Of course if the user is inexperienced with chemicals, has no safety equipment, and is working in a shed at the end of their garden then conc sulphuric is a dangerous chemical. Under such circumstances P2O5 is an even more dangerous chemical to use and we would be more likely to see evolution in action.

Finally I am unsure if NaOCl solution is suitable for use in a vacuum desiccator it tends to decompose.

Just use sodium hydroxide as a dessicant, it's easy to come by and works very well. Also, there's all this talk of which dessicant is better, all of them lower the vapor pressure of water to near zero, so the real solution to increasing dessication speed is to increase the surface area of the dessicant and optimally to increase air flow.

All this talk of what's the best drying agent isn't really important here. You are trying to remove bulk water so even table salt will do as a desiccant.

As has been pointed out a number of times the NaClO isn't stable so you will lose a lot of it no matter how you try to dry it. You certainly won't end up with a pure solid.

"Actually for staying power as a desiccant, conc sulphuric is tops in terms of g/g water capture. "

Actually it's not. Both sodium and magnesium sulphates will absorb roughly their own weight in water before they are exhausted. 50% sulphuric acid isn't much of a drying agent.

The question of whether sulphuric acid is more of a hazard than P2O5 isn't relevant here. You don't need to use either. The reason I mentioned it was simply to illustrate that your assertion that "Conc sulphuric acid has an affinity for water that is unmatched." isn't correct. I could have chosen a number of other desiccants like sodium wire. All strong dehydrating agents are dangerous because we are mainly water.