Separation of a Basic (3-nitroaniline) and neutral (menthol) compound

BIG

Hey guys, new member here, i always have a hard time writing my lab discussion for organic because i dont really understand it that well, and hoping someone can give me a lending hand,

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

What happens when NaOH is added to 3-nitroaniline??, i know a yellow color appears, but can someone give me an explanation as to what actually happens and what the color indicates??

Edited by BIG
Consecutive posts merged.

If it changes color that means a reaction likely occured. With the added EW/staibilizing effect of NO2 group id say it got deprotonated. WIth a pKa of about 2.5, its fairly acidic.

The nitro group is in the wrong place to help stabilise the anion. Its meta to the amine so will only have a tiny stabilisng effect. If it was ortho or para to the amine it MIGHT b able to deprotante the amin but i seriously doubt it. 2,4,6 tri nitro aniline might be ok...

to me it seems that the meta position is the most stabilizing for the anion. Or at least i think you could be able to protonate, and seperate it that way from the nuetral compound, if thats the goal. Or perhaps its forming some sort of complex

Ive drawn out what I mean. It doesn't matter if they have the same number of resonance srcutures, its how stable the anion is what is important. In the case when the nitro is meta, the anion can't be stabilised by the electron withdrawing nitro group. However, when the nitro is ortho or para, it has no problem in being stbaiulised by the nitro group.

An anion on oxygen is far more stable than one on carbon (electronegativity). And remember that nitro groups are one the most electron withdrawing you can have.