help with finding average relative atomic masses with isotopes

steakyfask

im not sure if this is right but.....

i have been given an element which is Neon.

i am told that Ne consists of three isotopes: Ne-20 Ne-21 and Ne-22 (which i asume to be the number pf protons) in the proportions of 90.9% 0.3% and 8.8%

i need to find the average relative atomic mass of Ne...

do i just find the mass of each proportion of isotope and then add them all up and divide by 3 to get an average?

im not sure if this is right but.....

i have been given an element which is Neon.

i am told that Ne consists of three isotopes: Ne-20 Ne-21 and Ne-22 (which i asume to be the number pf protons) in the proportions of 90.9% 0.3% and 8.8%

That is not a correct assumption. The number of protons in an element always stays the same. If you change the number of protons, you change what element you're working with (as in a nuclear reaction). Protons dictate element, electrons dictate ionization, and neutrons dictate isotope (they are, for the purpose of this thread, just added weight with no charge). The numbers (20-22) are protons plus neutrons, where the number of neutrons is what's changing.

To find the average mass:

.909(20) + .003(21) + .088(22) = 18.18 + .063 + 1.936

So your answer is 20.179 amu or g/mol (assuming you don't have to worry about significant figures).

Toadie, please don't answer people's homework questions for them. Give them clues on how they can do it for themselves.

That is not a correct assumption. The number of protons in an element always stays the same. If you change the number of protons, you change what element you're working with (as in a nuclear reaction). Protons dictate element, electrons dictate ionization, and neutrons dictate isotope (they are, for the purpose of this thread, just added weight with no charge). The numbers (20-22) are protons plus neutrons, where the number of neutrons is what's changing.

To find the average mass:

.909(20) + .003(21) + .088(22) = 18.18 + .063 + 1.936

So your answer is 20.179 amu or g/mol (assuming you don't have to worry about significant figures).