The Conscious Universe

Taktiq

Has anyone here read this book? If so, what are your thoughts?

"This myth-shattering book explains the evidence for the veracity of psychic phenomena, uniting the teachings of mystics, the theories of quantum physics, and the latest in high-tech experiments. With painstaking research and deft, engaging prose, Radin dispels the misinformation and superstition that have clouded the understanding of scientists and laypeople alike concerning a host of fascinating oddities. Psychokinesis, remote viewing, prayer, jinxes, and more--all are real, all have been scientifically proven, and the proof is in this book.

Radin draws from his own work at Princeton, Stanford Research Institute, and Fortune 500 companies, as well as his research for the U.S. government, to demonstrate the surprising extent to which the truth of psi has already been tacitly acknowledged and exploited. THE CONSCIOUS UNIVERSE also sifts the data for tantalizing hints of how mind and matter are linked. Finally, Radin takes a bold look ahead, to the inevitable social, economic, academic, and spiritual consequences of the mass realization that mind and matter can influence each other without having physical contact.

Director of the Consciousness Research Laboratory at the University of Nevada at Las Vegas and twice president of the Parapsychology Association, Dean Radin, Ph.D., has done cutting-edge parapsychology research for AT&T, Stanford, Princeton's Engineering Anomalies Research Lab, the University of Edinburgh, S.R.I. International, and the U.S. Government. He lives in Las Vegas, NV." (from Amazon.com)

I saw this post earlier today, and I thought the same thing. I've read some of the reviews, and many of them say that the author favors dualism (mind is separate from the brain).

This is a great quote from the book:

"the concept that mind is primary over matter is deeply rooted in Eastern philosophy and ancient beliefs about magic”:doh:

If you haven't read this book, please refrain from posting.

I don't want this discussion to devolve into another, "well, I don't believe in such 'n such" because frankly I don't care what you believe about psi phenomena. I just want an honest discussion about what people think about what the book contains.

If you haven't read this book, please refrain from posting.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of discussion in this thread then.

I just want an honest discussion about what people think about what the book contains.

Okay then, since I'm assuming you read the book, perhaps you could elucidate what some of the "proofs" are of the following:

Psychokinesis, remote viewing, prayer, jinxes, and more--all are real, all have been scientifically proven, and the proof is in this book.

Jinxes are real and have been scientifically proven? Really?

Anyway, I tried reading the book and while I find the subject matter fascinating, the book itself is rather dry. I read only about a third of the book but, would like to pick it up again later when I have more time.

As far as not finding people who have read the book, I wonder why. Is it because it's about this subject? I mean I have seen the hostility this subject elicits from people here but, c'mon it's just a book. It won't hurt ya. :rolleyes:

I just wonder what people who do have a background in science (unlike myself) think about what the author claims (if they've read the book).

It's not really hostility, it's Doubt with a capital D, heavy on the capital. If there really was scientific proof of psi powers as the author claims, it would be in a lot more places than his bogus book. Remember, scientific proof has to satisfy peer review, which this obviously has not.

• 5 months later...

A good book that touches on similar topics with practical application is Sermon on the Mount by Emmet Fox. On page 188 of this book while dissecting the prayer, "The Our Father" it addresses the issue of Stockholm Syndrome which is referred to in the religious thread of this same web site. The book was published in 1934. Though the technology available to the public has exponentially expanded the basic problems of living in society and even in family remain the same. The book, Sermon on the Mount, gave me practical relief in a time of high emotional stress. The problem is finding a niche where I can once again read it and apply its principles.