Seeking advice on boosting wifi

Sisyphus

Ok. The neighbor whose wifi we've been glomming off of for the past year or so has moved away. (Don't you look at me so judgmentally. My rationale is that at this point an open network counts as an invitation to glom, in modern wifi etiquette.)

There are a few other open networks nearby, but they are all weak and unreliable. There are also dozens of locked networks.

One of these belongs to friends of ours, who live down the street. They're willing to share, which would be beneficial to both of us, because we'd split the cost.

HOWEVER, this signal only comes in right next to the window closest to them. We'd like to be able to extend this such that our two laptops can access the network anywhere in the apartment.

Is anyone in a similar situation? What works, what doesn't, etc. The options seem to be either an antenna (though that would require physically connecting to it), or a repeater. The repeater seems the clear choice, although my cursory research has left me with questions. I understand it will be slower than directly connecting. What's not clear is whether it can connect with one specific network, or whether it will be trying to rebroadcast all 40 or so networks in range (presumably more for a better antenna than the ones in the laptops). And if so, whether that will be a problem.

I guess basically I'm asking for specific products.