Would you believe me...?

Galindo

If I told you that my eyes can act as a natural microscope.

I am very near-sited which means that I cannot see a thing within 5-10 feet. But my eyes have a unique trait that allow them to focus-in and de-focus, which allows me to see things such as my eyelashes at a very close up view which makes them transparent. You don't have to believe me, but what if this were possible? What sorts of things should this human be doing with this trait?

ok it's a natural side effect...so this is a natural microscope...now what if i told you that when I look at a christmas light from 20 feet away it appears the size of a baseball, and I am able to expand the light and make it appear even larger. Would you still believe me?

This is not a magnification that you describe but rather a loss of focus.

Correct a loss of focus because I lose focus of other objects such as a table and other things, but I am able to view this "light" at a much bigger level than your average human being...now what if I told you that when I place a water bottle over my eye when I do this and put something rather small on the other side such as a hair clipping I can see it at a microscopic level, just as if I am looking thru a microscope...What does this mean?

When you view objects as very large, are they blurry or perfectly clear?

As for water bottles... they act as natural lenses due to their shapes. It's perfectly possible to make a magnifying lens with some clear plastic sheet and some water, for example.

I may have misunderstood you but yes when I do this "thing" with my eyes everything around me gets very blurry, but objects up close turn very fine

Right, I'm referring to this:

now what if i told you that when I look at a christmas light from 20 feet away it appears the size of a baseball, and I am able to expand the light and make it appear even larger.

So if the objects do get blurry, that is indeed your nearsightedness naturally. I can do similar things but not to the same extent, as I'm not too terribly nearsighted.

My dad, however, was once helping his college roommate determine the gender of fruit flies under the microscope, and he discovered he could do itr by just taking his glasses off and looking at them very hard. Without a microscope. Now that is nearsighted.

Right, I'm referring to this:

So if the objects do get blurry, that is indeed your nearsightedness naturally. I can do similar things but not to the same extent, as I'm not too terribly nearsighted.

My dad, however, was once helping his college roommate determine the gender of fruit flies under the microscope, and he discovered he could do itr by just taking his glasses off and looking at them very hard. Without a microscope. Now that is nearsighted.

Ok so what if I told you this: When I place a water bottle over my eyes and do this thing with my eyes and just focus in on the light, I am able to see the entire cosmos...would you still believe me

I think the point is that what you can do isn't all that remarkable. It's part of being very nearsighted.

Would you happen to know the strength of lenses you need for your eyes? As in, the number of diopters of correction or something. Just so we get an idea just how nearsighted you are.

I think the point is that what you can do isn't all that remarkable. It's part of being very nearsighted.

Would you happen to know the strength of lenses you need for your eyes? As in, the number of diopters of correction or something. Just so we get an idea just how nearsighted you are.

Now what if I told you that this has helped me come up with my own unified theory on life.

It truly is a remarkable thing that I have discovered. I don't know all the equations or anything but I combined Einstein's theory of relativity with Newton's law of motion, and it made me look differently at everything.

You're nearsighted and you can read a physics book. Whoop de freaking do.

You are a great example. Now, in your perspective you may look like you know it all. But an outsider reading your text assumes you are just another smart-ass. We as humans communicate with each other on a limited scale.

When I place a water bottle over my eyes and do this thing with my eyes and just focus in on the light, I am able to see the entire cosmos...

Why jump to conclusions so fast without even knowing the facts?

I think you need to follow your own advice.

To answer your question. No, I don't believe you, for several reasons:

The claim is extraordinary. The claim is poorly defined. The claim is completely unsupported. High skepticism is the rational approach to claims fitting those criteria.

Also, you lack credibility. In your other claims that something extraordinary is happening, you are just describing nearsightedness, so that tells me you don't know enough yet to evaluate what you're looking at. Also, uniting relativity and Newtonian motion doesn't even make sense, since the latter is contained in the former. This tells me you are ignorant of the thing you claim to have revolutionized.

I'm not picking on you. I'm just honestly explaining why I don't believe you. Not knowing about physics (or whatever) is nothing to be ashamed of - nobody is born with that knowledge. But it is important to recognize what we don't know. You'll get a much better reaction with "I don't have an explanation for this" than "I saw something weird, and it means I have a superpower!"

That you might think you're seeing "the entire cosmos" (whatever that actually means) is much more believable. But you, certainly, are the one jumping to conclusions, and pretty wild ones at that.

So, why don't we back up a whole lot, and you describe what you're actually seeing. And maybe then people will be able to make some sense of it.

Edited by Sisyphus

I'm horribly near-sighted and everyone in my family has to have me read very small print. I'm sure it's a fairly common by-product.

If I'm correct, with myopia the retina is larger than normal and thus light at a distance doesn't get focused correctly. So I assume the closer one is too the source of reflection the better the eye can focus. Since the retina is bigger there's probably more cone cells and thus more detail.

It's not all that great trying to read something 15 feet away.

It truly is a remarkable thing that I have discovered. I don't know all the equations or anything but I combined Einstein's theory of relativity with Newton's law of motion, and it made me look differently at everything.
Perhaps you should explain more fully, rather than in these single short teaser paragraphs that contain many classic indications that you have been less than rigorous in your approach to scientific matters.

its not a problem with the retina that causes myopia, it is a problem with the lense structure. the focal point of the light happens before the retina. it is not an increased resolution of the retina at all, there is absolutely no difference between the retina of a shortsighted, normal sighted or far sighted person.

its not a problem with the retina that causes myopia, it is a problem with the lense structure. the focal point of the light happens before the retina. it is not an increased resolution of the retina at all, there is absolutely no difference between the retina of a shortsighted, normal sighted or far sighted person.

For one, there is more than one type of structural defect that can cause myopia. Secondly, Since the eyeball is longer in some cases, wouldn't the retina be longer as well?