nicotine......

Guest kkk311

Well, I don't know exactly what's in nicotine but I do know that one drop of it in your blood will kill you. I know that there are over 42,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke and some of those chemicals include plutonium 2 10 (used in atomic bombs) and other heavy crap that will make you feel like bull pucket.

If you were considering smoking or anything that involves tobacco, then don't even think of starting. :flame:

It'll kill you.:haha:

ya

• 1 month later...

Both the above are correct. However, unlike most drug effects, you don't need to increase your intake of nicotine to achieve the same effect. This is why most long-term smokers are still on around 20 per day.

Nicotine has a dose dependent biphasic effect. This is to say that it exerts different (opposite) effects, depending on the dose. As mentioned above, nicotine acts as an ACh antagonist. However, the initial effect of nicotine intake is agonistic, i.e. it exites nicontinic ACh receptors, thus small bolus doses of nicotine act as a stimulant. Higher doses act as a sedative (as the nicotine begins to block nicotinic ACh receptors). Smokers make use of both effects and this behaviour can be observed. A bored smoker will take small 'nips' of the cigarette, providing themselves with the stimulant effect. The same smoker, whilst for example, waiting for an interview or otherwise generally anxious will take large regular draws at the cigarette, making use of its sedative properties.

The fact that the same drug can be used for two purposes is a significant part of the insidious nature of nicotine addiction. Whilst physical withdrawal symptoms are due to the increased number of ACh receptors formed in compensation, resulting in increased excitability of nicotinic ACh systems in the absence of nicotine , there are also strong psychological symptoms, i.e. an impaired ability to cope with both stressful and boring situations.

• 1 month later...

DOPAMINE ............YUMMIE

DA has a lot to do with it as well. although it is not the main effect, no drug is MENTALLY addictive without it.

just like how morphine or THC have many complex effects that account for there addiction and withdrawal, and these are both mental and physical in effect, but dopamine is the one that makes you feel/think "ohhh yea.... i needed that"

oh ,, and nothing is "in" nicotine that makes it addictive.

thats like asking whats in a key that lets it fit in the lock.

Originally posted by NSX

So how does Nicorette stop your cravings for nicotine?

By providing nicotine.

The patches, gum and inhalers all deliver doses of nicotine in order to reduce the cravings which gives the individual the chance to deal with the behavioural/habitual side of smoking. The nicorette substitutes provide reduced doses of nicotine, just to take the nagging away, but importantly they are free of collateral substances; tar and all the other toxic chemicals found in cigarette smoke (of which there are at least 60 I believe). It's a bit like putting heroin addicts on methodone; it's a weaning process.

Am I the only one who smokes then? This thread is quite interesting for me, I wasnt aware of the more specific reasons mentioned here.

I dont smoke that much, maybe 1 and a half packets a week at most. I dont get noticeablle cravings, if you can call them that. What i do get is the compulsion to smoke when Im drinking in a bar. Its more something to do with ure hands, somthing to hold. Id say that was the most any 'cravings' ever amount to for me, a nagging compulsion that isnt particularly strong, but that I usually dont try to resist.

Other times its more a conscience decision to smoke. At football matches I get stressed, exceited etc. Smoking is a calming influence to me more for the distraction that the physical process of smoking involves - concentrating on breathing etc. Obviously the nicotine rush has an effect as well, its quite a pleasant calming feeling.

No, I smoke too. I tried to quit once but the cravings were really bad. It didn't help that we had to attend as witnesses in a murder trial shortly after I stopped. I started smoking again then. I'll quite one day though.

• 4 months later...

Wow! that`s certainly more than I knew about it as well!

I`ve been a smoker for 25 years now (wished I`de never started).

I`de always associated it with a TASTE rather than a nagging urge, especialy with sweet things ie/ coffee, beer etc...

then I get the "craving", I`m wondering now if it`s mental association or is it something to do with taste receptors as well?

I`ve tried the nicotine gum, and that works a bit, but it`s nothing like the same thing. Beer is the worst offender for me, the more I drink the more I smoke?

anyone know if there`s a Chemical reason for this?

i, too, smoke...have now for years...i enjoy the calming effect also and also wish i had never started...it seems the habit of 'lighting up' is more time related and activity related with me...have one in the morning with coffee, while talking on the phone, while driving my car, after meals, etc...the cravings are stronger at these key times than at any other...the desire to quit comes only when i have problems breathing, or when the smell on clothing or in my house or car is overwhelming...have tried to quit on occassion and the smell of another's smoke is offending, not luring...if you do not smoke...do not start...the habit is so hard to break...i have heard of heavy drug users saying they quit the heavy drugs easier than they could quit nicotine...seems all smokers feel like they wish they had never started

I'm not a smoker myself but quite a few of my friends have given up (or are trying to!). I've heard that drinking milk can help cut down on cravings - apparently (??) it gives the body a small, natural endorphin hit that helps curb the impulse to smoke.

Drinking orange juice (or anything with vitamin C) is supposed to help. Coffee and tea are supposed to increase the cravings. However, I suspect that is behavioural, as most smokers smoke with coffee or tea, so there is an habitual association there to begin with.

• 1 year later...

Here's digging up an old thread. :) I've been a smoker for about six years now, and it's a habit I wish I never picked up. :-( I started smoking on a bet. My roommates in college were all smokers, and I was the only one who wasn't. So one day they bet me a six pack of REALLY good beer that I couldn't smoke a cigarette without coughing. I won the bet, but got hooked. I just loved the lightheadedness and the social aspect of it. Whenever I drank, I'd have a cigarette. I'd get out of a long lab and have a cigarette. Finish a meal; have a cigarette. Perhaps the most intense craving came after having sex. lol. Finish-up, clean up, light up. :D I've tried quitting dozens of times, but I just couldn't do it. Working with dozens of people who also smoke doesn't help things either. I smoked pot for a solid four years, and I was able to quit that easily without any withdrawal. But if I go one day without a cigarette, I feel ultra edgy and just "odd". It's definitely not something someone should EVER do.

Now as for why the craving seems to be stronger with alcohol consumption, I really don't know. I'm guessing it's more psychological than it is physical, but I honestly have no idea why.