The Value of Gold

foodchain

theres alot of metals with interesting properties but not too many of them are stamped into bars and stacked in a giant fortress to keep people from touching them (making excellent use of their conductivity.) Not saying you are wrong, but the luster of gold seems to have driven its price up to make it's other features hard to access, ie i haven't cut open many wires to find gold inside.

It's all perception. It looks beautiful, it has a hefty weight to it, and I swear it feels warmer than other metals (although that's probably because it's usually worn next to the skin as jewelry).

I guess it's like diamonds. There are much rarer gem stones than diamonds but diamonds are priced inconsistently with their comparative rarity. Platinum is 30 times rarer than gold but it's not 30 times more expensive.

It also has value in that, it's value doesn't change that much. Currencies may rise and fall and in some cases completely collapse. But gold stays relatively consistent, making it a good investment and thus giving it value against currency. One could equally argue, why Fiat money is valued.

Consider this:

Today, an ounce of gold will buy you a reasonable second-hand car (Or its cash equivalent will)

in the 1980s and ounce of gold would by you a second hand car

in the 1950s A second hand car had the cash equivalent of a second hand car

in 15th century an ounce of gold would buy you a decent second hand cart

In Roman times a modest chariot could be purchased with an ounce of gold.

Gold technically has no real value though as it cannot be eaten, only traded for food. In some sort of Hollywood style apocalypse, gold would clearly have no value what ever.