This thread will surely convince you 2012 will be a very significant year!

CHA0S

I tried doing the math myself once but couldn't work out the darn Mayan calendar properly...then I found the quote below here...which basically confirmed all my suspicions about 2012 and how it links with our galactic cycle and the Mayan calender.

1 pictun = 20 baktun = 2,880,000 days = approx. 7885 years

1 calabtun = 20 pictun = 57,600,000 days = approx. 158,000 years

1 kinchiltun = 20 calabtun = 1,152,000,000 days = approx. 3 million years

1 alautun = 20 kinchiltun = 23,040,000,000 days = approx. 63 million years

654a45af9c3d.jpg

1 up down cycle through the galactic belt = 62My according to scientists..."My" = 1 million years...now explain that to me...just how is that possible...did they just randomly produce a calendar with a cycle of 63My? Even today we can't accurately produce an exact amount of time required for a galactic cycle...there is actually a margin of error of a few million years...you must remember that what is being measured...is the actual movement of our solar system through and around our galaxy...you can't even begin to do such a thing without the right base of scientific knowledge and technology...it's simply not a matter of some math done with sticks in the dirt...what is even more mind boggling...is the fact that we seem to be about to pass through the galactic belt in 2012...now some scientists might say we just did pass...or currently are...or are about to....but one thing is for sure...we are EXTREMELY, mind-bogglingly close the belt when considering the length of the cycle...it wouldn't really matter if we passed through it a million years ago, one could still state "we JUST passed through the galactic belt"...considering the time frame of 62My...if we just did, the problem could be about to hit us as we leave the belt, of we currently are, then the problem could be somewhere in the belt, or just as we leave it and go into the other side, which we haven't for around 31My...if we are about to go into it, the problem could lie in the actual passing...who really knows...the point here, is that considering how close we are, and how precisely this synchronizes with the Mayan calender, is beyond comprehension, and is has to mean something.so is it a coincidence that their calendar appears to keep track of our movement through the galaxy and matches the exact location of our solar system in our cycle? Considering the time scale involved here...one would have an extremely hard time describing a scenario for comparison, which shows such synchronicity but on a scale in which we can get a clearer understanding and respect for the situation...

My theory (and that of many others): They were told by an extraterrestrial civilization whom they considered as Gods.

Now check out these numerous links below...they claim scientists have found a cycle of mass extinctions which occur every 60-64My

Mass extinction comes every 62 million years, UC physicists discover

With surprising and mysterious regularity, life on Earth has flourished and vanished in cycles of mass extinction every 62 million years, say two UC Berkeley scientists who discovered the pattern after a painstaking computer study of fossil records going back for more than 500 million years.

Their findings are certain to generate a renewed burst of speculation among scientists who study the history and evolution of life. Each period of abundant life and each mass extinction has itself covered at least a few million years -- and the trend of biodiversity has been rising steadily ever since the last mass extinction, when dinosaurs and millions of other life forms went extinct about 65 million years ago.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/08/is-there-a-milk.html and

http://www.livescience.com/space/scienceastronomy/070423_cosmic_evo.html

Research has revealed that the rise and fall of species on Earth seems to be driven by the undulating motions of our solar system as it travels through the Milky Way. Some scientists believe that this cosmic force may offer the answer to some of the biggest questions in our Earth’s biological history—especially where evolution has fallen short.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley found that marine fossil records show that biodiversity increases and decreases based on a 62-million-year cycle. At least two of the Earth's great mass extinctions-the Permian extinction 250 million years ago and the Ordovician extinction about 450 million years ago-correspond with peaks of this cycle, which can't be explained by evolutionary theory.

Early last year, a team of researchers at the University of Kansas came up with an out-of-this-world explanation for the phenomenon. Their idea hinges upon the fact that stars move through space and sometimes rush headlong through galaxies, or approach closely enough to cause a brief cosmic tryst.

Our own star moves toward and away from the Milky Way's center, and also up and down through the galactic plane. One complete up-and-down cycle takes 64 million years- suspiciously close to the Earth's biodiversity cycle.

Once the researchers independently confirmed the biodiversity cycle, they then proposed a novel mechanism whereby which the Sun's galactic travels is causing it.

---

Normally, our galaxy's magnetic field shields our solar system from this "galactic wind." But every 64 million years, the solar system's cyclical travels take it above the galactic plane.

"When we emerge out of the disk, we have less protection, so we become exposed to many more cosmic rays," Melott has said.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/11573/1066/

As the Earth’s solar system travels around the center of the Milky Way galaxy, it also wobbles up and down from the galaxy’s disc. U.S. scientists found that these swings take about 62 million years to complete—thus, may expose the Earth to higher doses of dangerous cosmic ray that may also cause mass extinctions.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2008/08/is-there-a-milk.html

Normally, our galaxy's magnetic field shields our solar system from this "galactic wind." But every 64 million years, the solar system's cyclical travels take it above the galactic plane.

"When we emerge out of the disk, we have less protection, so we become exposed to many more cosmic rays," Melott has said.

Galactic Drift and Mass Extinction

With a 3-million year uncertainty in the calculations, that 64 million year cycle matches well enough with the 62 million year cycle of extinctions. The match resonates with Richard Muller, who says of the KU team: “They succeeded where I failed in coming up with a possible explanation for the effect that we observed.” And if they’re right, we have time to prepare for the next major event, since the Solar System has just passed the mid-plane of the galaxy.

---

The extinction event that cries out for explanation here is the most recent, the Cretaceous/Tertiary dinosaur extinction that dates back some 65 million years. It’s exceptional in this context because it occurred within two million years of the Solar System’s mid-plane galactic crossing.

We pass through the galactic belt about every 30-35My...a full up-down cycle takes around 63My...and mass extinctions seem to happen around every 62My...here's what I think is happening...please excuse the dodgy handwriting:

d62afed77fc0.jpg

So, basically, as you can see in this picture, I believe that when we move below the galactic belt, the sudden polarity shift may affect us, or there is something on that side of the belt which affects the life on Earth very harshly. I drew up that diagram a fair while ago, and it wasn't really meant for anything so I wasn't very careful of my wording...when I talk of polarity I'm not referring to the Earths poles...I just mean that the position of our solar system and Earth has changed galactic polarity...the galaxy is probably somewhat like an insanely huge magnet or something like that...I'm not really sure, but it's obvious that some sort of polarity will be shifted when we move through to the other side of the galaxy...and i have no idea if the Earths poles will shift along with it...

So there we go...make of it what you will...also ask yourself when the last significant mass extinction was? Is the synchronicity beginning to mean anything yet? Is everything clicking into place yet? The only thing left to do...is figure out exactly what might happen around 2012...as scientists just seem to be throwing theories around at the moment...and as you may have noticed, if you read carefully...is the fact that we don't know exactly how long the galactic cycle takes...but considering what I have explained so far...if you believe, as I do, that Aliens visited Earth in the past, and were regarded as Gods, and they provided this information upon which the Mayan calender was constructed, we can only assume something will happen on, or very close to 2012...and that there is a hidden message waiting for us to discover it...in any case, if you accept that the Mayans couldn't have possibly worked out the length of our galactic cycle at their current level of advancement, you must conclude that some higher force, an advanced alien species perhaps, gave them this information. In this case, we can expect they gave them this info for a purpose and that it is fairly precise. And it probably wasn't just the Mayans that were visited by "sky Gods"...99% of the cultures I have studied have references to "Gods which came from the sky"...there is a documentary titled "Ancient Astronauts" I think...it's very interesting...

For all those people who will say "the Mayans never predicted anything such as the end of the world on 2012"...of course they didn't, if I'm correct, they aren't even the ones who devised the calender in the first place. I'm guessing they were told about cosmic cycles, and our current position in our cycle. They then built the worlds most complex calender and set it to when they were told, so that it synchronized with our current galactic position perfectly. Why would they start it near the end? It lasts for 63My and they made that calender only a few thousand years ago...why did they start it where they did? Shouldn't it be near the start, not about to end? Why build a calender that lasts so long? What was the point of it? IMO it must be to map our galactic cycle, and I think one day (if we don't go extinct) we will discover the Mayan calender maps exactly our galactic cycle with extreme precision.

And for all those people who like to scream "IT DOESN'T END!"...the Mayan calender doesn't end, but restarts on 2012...but does that really make one ounce of a difference? No...it doesn't...no significance at all...the significance is when the mysterious and complex calendar reaches its end after 63My...whether it starts again or not makes no difference....the calender has a start and an end...just like our calenders count through the 12 months in a year...until reaching the end and starting again...the fact is...the Mayan calender lasts for 63My before it reaches the end, restarts and starts from the beginning of it's cycle...it makes no difference whether it suddenly halts or keeps going...I couldn't care less if the calender is set to explode on 2012...it's beyond the point.

Also, please don't start this "been there, done that!" crap...I'm talking about those people who will say..."look at y2k...nothing happened and life went on a normal...2012 will be a NON-EVENT just like every other stupid prediction"...it's highly ignorant to compare y2k (a very ill founded prediction which involves computers not being able to click over to the year 2000) to a prediction which involves cosmic cycles and has been around for centuries...just please try to provide some sort of substantial argument which address the points I have put forward here...

Also, I'm not even sure what will happen, I'm not claiming it will be the end of the world...we are talking about biodiversity cycles here...it could be something for the better...it could in fact be the next step in our evolution as we move into a higher state of awareness and vibrational state, as others have been predicting. Like many others, I too feel it coming, I can feel it all around me, getting closer and closer...the "static charge" of world consciousness rising...the dawn of a new age is upon us...it was the fact that I could sense this change coming that I found myself researching this subject so that I might get some answers. In the end, I really don't know what might happen...all I know, is something extremely significant is very likely to happen around 2012...

In my search, I've come across theories of Nibiru, Galactic SuperWaves, Timewave Zero, Galactic Alignment, Solar Storms, the Web Bot Project, Pole Reversal...and countless other theories...but I could find no solid backing to any of these theories...mind you, there were a few compelling theories...but it wasn't until I found the theory involving the Galactic Plane and it's connection to the Mayan calender and biodiversity cycles until I started realize I was onto something big...I know it, others know it, and we ALL feel it somewhere deep inside us whether we like to admit it or not.

Now, I know what your thinking...all this crackpot talk of 2012 and Aliens...I know I will come off as totally insane to a lot of people...so just take it easy on me...I didn't come here to start a war. Yes, I'm aware this theory is not a new one. I am merely trying to provide some good scientific backing for this theory, and put the facts into a nice coherent thread where I could link together the galactic cycle with the Mayan calender and extinction cycles.

Disclaimer: I did post something similar to this in a conspiracy forum, and also another science forum, it is NOT plagiarized.

Edited by CHA0S

So, to review the actual facts:

1) A calendar invented by "Mayanists" (not Maya) has a period of about 63 million years.

2) A couple of physicists have noticed elevated extinction rates at around 62 million year intervals, roughly. They don't know why.

3) One among the many proposed hypotheses is that it has something to do with galactic cycles, though there's no actual evidence for this.

Why is this supposed to convince me that 2012 will be a very significant year?

Edited by Sisyphus

All the claims you make are answered in tis post: http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05/19/no-doomsday-in-2012/

At the very least, people should check their facts. The sun is *NOT* going through the "galactic equator" this year. It did in the past with no ill effects, last time being around 1998.

Read the rest in that article, it's very informative, and answers all your supposed claims with actual facts.

~moo

mooeypoo,

There is no possible way they can know for sure what our exact position relative to the galactic equator is...there is a margin of error of a few million years involved...and if you read my post properly, you'd see that I stated it makes no difference if we just crossed, or if we are just about to...

With such a large margin of error, I can't even accurately say we will be passing in 2012...but lets just say we did pass in 1998 as they say...that's 14 years before 2012...what is 14 years in comparison to 63My? That's my point...how ever you look at it, we are mind-bogglingly close to the galactic equator, and certainly aren't in the safe zone yet.

Oh, and I read that article you provided, it explains nothing, and merely goes on with the same gibber jabber I've heard a million times.

With such a large margin of error, I can't even accurately say we will be passing in 2012...but lets just say we did pass in 1998 as they say...that's 14 years before 2012...what is 14 years in comparison to 63My? That's my point...how ever you look at it, we are mind-bogglingly close to the galactic equator, and certainly aren't in the safe zone yet.

Yet *gasp* the world hasn't ended in the past 14 years. Why 2012?

Edited by ydoaPs

ydoaPs,

Well, assuming we did pass in 1898, from what I've read, we won't have fully passed through the galactic belt until roughly 2018. It's possible that on the other side of the galactic equator exists dangerous levels of radiation or exotic types of energy/matter...these theories are not mine, but those of several scientists which you can read about in the links I provided. There also exists the possibility of a change in our galactic polarity as I mentioned earlier. So, it's possible that we start seeing noticeable effects by 2012, and particularly around the day of the winter solstice on the 21/12/2012 at 11:11 which also happens to be the same day the Mayan calender ends (and restarts), but IMO, there are already numerous indicators the Earth is going through radical changes...

EDIT: Fixed incorrect year.

ydoaPs,

Well, assuming we did pass in 1898, from what I've read, we won't have fully passed through the galactic belt until roughly 2018.

So? That doesn't narrow anything down to 2012 let alone a specific month, day, hour, or minute.

It's possible that on the other side of the galactic equator exists dangerous levels of radiation or exotic types of energy/matter
It's also possible that there is a teapot orbiting the sun between Earth and Mars.

There also exists the possibility of a change in our galactic polarity as I mentioned earlier.
What is 'galactic polarity'?

which also happens to be the same day the Mayan calender ends (and restarts)[/quite]Why not December 31st 11:59PM in 2010 which also happens to be the same day the Gregorian calendar ends(and restarts)?

mooeypoo,

There is no possible way they can know for sure what our exact position relative to the galactic equator is...there is a margin of error of a few million years involved...and if you read my post properly, you'd see that I stated it makes no difference if we just crossed, or if we are just about to...

Oh, and I read that article you provided, it explains nothing, and merely goes on with the same gibber jabber I've heard a million times.

How about you read the link first and only then we can go into actual Physics, mathematics and the way we can actually know for quite certain where our position is compared to other places?

The fact you don't know how to do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Read the link, will ya? I've read your claims, so instead of wasting both of our times, read the summarized answers and we can go on to discuss details.

At the moment, you're arguing against proven facts, which leaves no room for debate. Since this isn't a lecture hall (or your personal blog) but rather a place to debate and discuss, I am trying to find a way where we can have enough common ground to discuss the basics.

~moo

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
ydoaPs,

Well, assuming we did pass in 1898, from what I've read, we won't have fully passed through the galactic belt until roughly 2018. It's possible that on the other side of the galactic equator exists dangerous levels of radiation or exotic types of energy/matter...these theories are not mine, but those of several scientists which you can read about in the links I provided.

It's also possible we will all develop a third ear and start jumping like rabbits.

That doesn't mean it is PLAUSIBLE, or LOGICAL, or at all not absolutely laughable.

To prove my "possible" i need to provide proof. So do you. "They imagined it 2000 years ago" is not proof.

Mooeypoo,

How about you read the link first and only then we can go into actual Physics, mathematics and the way we can actually know for quite certain where our position is compared to other places?

I'm pretty sure I read the article you linked...there have been no other links provided so far...

Solar system's Galactic Orbit (Up and down wobble) is thought to be anywhere from 52 to 74 million years. source

But upon doing so research, it appears our position relative to the galactic equator can be determined with a lot more accuracy by determining Characteristics of the Galaxy according to Cepheids and I think some other methods. It's generally accepted the passing of the galactic equator took place in 1998. But it seems there is still a margin of error...from what I can see, it's 1998 +/- 18 years.

Precession is caused by the earth wobbling very slowly on its axis and shifts the position of the equinoxes and solstices one degree every 71.5 years. Because the sun is one-half of a degree wide, it will take the December solstice sun 36 years to precess through the Galactic equator (see diagram below).

The precise alignment of the solstice point (the precise center-point of the body of the sun as viewed from earth) with the Galactic equator was calculated to occur in 1998 (Jean Meeus, Mathematical Astronomy Morsels, 1997).

Thus, the Galactic Alignment "zone" is 1998 +/- 18 years = 1980 - 2016. This is "era-2012."

source

But what seems more important is "when the December solstice sun has converged, as a result of the precession of the equinoxes, with the exact center-line of the Milky Way (the Galactic equator)" This particular type alignment seems to happen about every 26,000 years, but it must be even even even more unlikely to see the solstice point and the solstice sun to align with the galactic equator. There is also evidence the Egyptians were very interested in galactic alignment (involving precession of the equinoxes):

In 1994 the "Orion Mystery" was reportedly solved when it was realized and demonstrated that one of the Great Pyramid's air shafts mentioned above aligned with the stars of Orion's Belt in the era 2600 B.C. Our two intrepid researchers, Robert Bauval and Adrian Gil*bert, explained their realization that the Great Pyramid serves as a precessional star-clock, in that the orientation of the great pyramid defines certain eras in the precessional cycle. A time some 12,500 years ago is indicated by the Great Pyramid as an era the early Egyp*tians were especially interested in (remember this would have been when Orion was directly "above" and corresponded to the outline of the three Giza pyramids). Although our researchers do not mention it, 12,500 years ago corresponds to the last time a solstice sun coincided with the Milky Way. The next time this happens--you guessed it--will be in 2012, the Mayan calen*dar end-date.
source - Other Ancient cultures interested in 2012

It's also possible we will all develop a third ear and start jumping like rabbits.

That doesn't mean it is PLAUSIBLE, or LOGICAL, or at all not absolutely laughable.

Please try to open your mind a little please...
It’s no secret that the Milky Way is being gravitationally pulled toward a massive cluster of galaxies, called the Virgo Cluster, which is located about 50 million light years away. Adrian Melott of the University of Kansas and his colleague Mikhail Medvedev, speculate that as the Milky Way rushes towards the Virgo Cluster, it generates a so-called bow shock in front of it that is similar to the shock wave created by a supersonic jet.

"Our solar system has a shock wave around it, and it produces a good quantity of the cosmic rays that hit the Earth. Why shouldn't the galaxy have a shock wave, too?" Melott asks.

The galactic bow shock is only present on the north side of the Milky Way's galactic plane, because that is the side facing the Virgo Cluster as it moves through space, and it would cause superheated gas and cosmic rays to stream behind it, the researchers say. Normally, our galaxy's magnetic field shields our solar system from this "galactic wind." But every 64 million years, the solar system's cyclical travels take it above the galactic plane.

source - Have Milky Way's Cycles Influenced Earth's Biological History?As soon as a hypothesis involves danger for us, there seems to be an allergic response from people...instant claims of blasphemy and lunacy...anything that might be even remotely out of the box or not currently understood by scientists seems to provoke the same reaction...

What is 'galactic polarity'?

Pretty much a term I came up with to describe something...I don't know if there is a term for it...but I did explain what I mean:

I drew up that diagram a fair while ago, and it wasn't really meant for anything so I wasn't very careful of my wording...when I talk of polarity I'm not referring to the Earths poles...I just mean that the position of our solar system and Earth has changed galactic polarity...the galaxy is probably somewhat like an insanely huge magnet or something like that...I'm not really sure, but it's obvious that some sort of polarity will be shifted when we move through to the other side of the galaxy...and i have no idea if the Earths poles will shift along with it...
Probably not the best term...doesn't really describe it correctly... Edited by CHA0S

"Christ hung on the cross April 1, 33 A.D.," he began. "Now go to April 1 of 2011 A.D., and that's 1,978 years."

Camping then multiplied 1,978 by 365.2422 days - the number of days in each solar year, not to be confused with a calendar year.

Next, Camping noted that April 1 to May 21 encompasses 51 days. Add 51 to the sum of previous multiplication total, and it equals 722,500.

Camping realized that (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = 722,500.

Or put into words: (Atonement x Completeness x Heaven), squared.

"Five times 10 times 17 is telling you a story," Camping said. "It's the story from the time Christ made payment for your sins until you're completely saved.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/01/BA8V1AV589.DTL

Why should we believe you rather than them?

Also, the "fact" christ hung on a cross is an unproven fact (actually, largely thought of as an event that was exaggerated a collation of 2-3 separate other events) and the "fact" of actual date is even less certain.

It's going to be horrifically difficult to deal with arguments that stem from unproven claims or claims that are proven false (like the 'passing the galactic equator') specially if every time we show it to be false (like the 'galactic equator') the OP makes the claim that, well, maybe it's not THAT relevant that the dates don't match. I mean.. 2012, 2018.. close enough.

Really.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Also, part of the reason we're so not-too-impressed with all these age-old claims, is because we (and about 80% of the internet) already discussed this topic, many many many times. Too many times.

Here's one of the threads on the subject, covering the vast majority of your claims: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44319

mooeypoo,

Also, part of the reason we're so not-too-impressed with all these age-old claims, is because we (and about 80% of the internet) already discussed this topic, many many many times. Too many times.

Here's one of the threads on the subject, covering the vast majority of your claims: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=44319

I read through the thread...and 99% of it is just people making jokes...quite boring indeed...that was hardly a serious discussion and didn't get into the science of things...what I have presented here are new ideas and scientific ideas which need to be examined and a lot of the points I'm making are often avoided and not brought up in those debunking articles you provided...they always seem to like to stick to the easy things and use sneaky word play to downplay the seriousness of some things and often make ridiculous jokes which insinuate anyone who believes in some of these things must be an absolute moron...I quickly become quite tedious of such articles...we need to examine the points I am trying to make here seriously...62My biodiversity cycles and the Mayan calender and it's relation to our galactic cycle.

Also, I think we've got that 1998 thing wrong...I'm pretty sure that refers to an alignment which involves the precession of the equinoxes...not the actual physical passing of our solar system through the galactic plane...I've read a few articles now, on legitimate scientific websites, and they are all saying different things...it seems no one is exactly sure if we have passed or not...maybe you can clarify things for us or possibly provide a source to show we crossed in 1998?

Thanks.

mooeypoo,

I read through the thread...and 99% of it is just people making jokes...quite boring indeed...that was hardly a serious discussion and didn't get into the science of things...what I have presented here are new ideas and scientific ideas which need to be examined and a lot of the points I'm making are often avoided and not brought up in those debunking articles you provided...they always seem to like to stick to the easy things and use sneaky word play to downplay the seriousness of some things and often make ridiculous jokes which insinuate anyone who believes in some of these things must be an absolute moron...I quickly become quite tedious of such articles...we need to examine the points I am trying to make here seriously...62My biodiversity cycles and the Mayan calender and it's relation to our galactic cycle.

Also, I think we've got that 1998 thing wrong...I'm pretty sure that refers to an alignment which involves the precession of the equinoxes...not the actual physical passing of our solar system through the galactic plane...I've read a few articles now, on legitimate scientific websites, and they are all saying different things...it seems no one is exactly sure if we have passed or not...maybe you can clarify things for us or possibly provide a source to show we crossed in 1998?

Thanks.

Chaos, this is the second time you just dismiss arguments that oppose your own. In the article I posted initially, for instance, the fact that youve "heard all the claims before" is moot.. the claims *dispute* yours.

The second post on the above thread (by JillSwift) is a mention about the so-called Mayan calendar "prediction".

The only thing that the Mayan calendar has that has any remote connectiong to 2012 is that it goes by cycles, one of which intersects 2012. IT's not the first cycle, though, that the calendar restarts, and yet we are still here.

The christian calendar also has cycles; a julian calendar ends each year. That doesn't mean taht the early christians thought the world is going to end each year! Same goes to the Mayans.

However, you seem to be quite certain that whatever we say is moot regardless of evidence we provide you (seriously, all is said and done in the first link I provided, you just didn't even relate to it, and continue to make claims that are clearly shown to be invalid in that link, with proof) and continue claiming empty "OMG OMG OMG!" claims.

We're not conspiracy forum, we're a rational science forum. We don't go by "AAAAAAAA!" statements and panic, we go by claims that are substantiated and validated through physical and logical proof.

You have supplied none, and you continously ignore our counter-claims. That will not get anyone to believe this so-called theory.

• We are not at the galactic alignment. That much is proven.
  • The Mayan calendar doesn't end, it restarts, and not for the first (nor second) time.
  • There is no geomagnetic reversal.
  • There's no planet X; we would have intercepted one if there was. The only REMOTELY SIMILAR actual-reality object is "Apophis", which is going to miss the Earth in 2012. If you want to be all conspiratorial and alarmist, you can make the (not too far off the truth, though unlikely) claim that it might hit the Earth on its next pass.
  • The solar "storm" that's expected in 2012 is not going to ruin the Earth or bring technology down; it might do some minor damage to electronics, but it won't be the first time satellite engineers face this problem successfully.

But if you are going to claim that since you've heard all the above it means that you are still correct, then we have nothing to argue about. Go to your conspiracy forums where people usually ignore reality for the sake of conspiracy adventure, you'll be much more successful there.

If you continue debating with us, here, now, you will need to stop dismissing valid answers just because you think that you've heard them before.

The reason people make jokes in the thread you've read is because it's the third time we have been discussing the matter, the tenth time it's been proven false, and the hundredths time someone posts that in the forum.

We get tired going over the same false arguments all the time, chaos. We get tired and we just post the previous argument, because it is - quite frankly - frustrating to start a whole argument again just because the poster insists on ignoring all the SCIENTIFIC information that answers their claims and just go on a conspiracy rant.

2012 is going to be just like any other year. If you want to find important dates, try 2018 when we actually DO pass the galactic equator.

Galactic Alignment:

http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/question/?id=3397

This is a great image that explains it: 2012_960.gif

(Source: http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/2012-the-end-of-the-world/)

A short search on google about the so-called galactic alignment, and making sure the people who answer are actual SCIENTISTS (find peer review, even better) will give you more than enough if the above, and my previous replies, and the link I submitted, and the other topic discussed and the other topics in general about 2012 in this forum are STILL not enough.

Edited by mooeypoo
Consecutive posts merged.

funny how you made the claim that this will convince us of 2012 crap but claim there may be an error of 63 million years. thats not very accurate. thats not even a particularly good guess. hell it's 3,150,000,000% error.

put up some proper evidence or go away and claim the sky is falling somewhere else.

Could it be Ragnarök? (I am thinking of converting to Norse Mythology, after reading some information about it, it just speaks to me. You know it just kind of makes sense to me. )

I love predictions of the end of the world. They are so exciting! Yeah, but seriously I did not expect the world to end on 2012 sorry to burst any bubbles. It brings up an interesting point though. How long would one of you guys give humanity? Of course if 2012 doesn't happen. Fifty years? One hundred years?

i think humans have a good few hundred millenia to go yet. it'll likely be evolving into something else that finishes us of as a species(i wonder how they'll figure out the turning point where we are no longer homo sapiens sapiens).

civilization on the other hand, well thats a fragile thing that but i don't see a major collapse anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So, it's possible that we start seeing noticeable effects by 2012, and particularly around the day of the winter solstice on the 21/12/2012 at 11:11 which also happens to be the same day the Mayan calender ends (and restarts)

One such noticeable effect is an alien invasion.

At least, if the X Files is your source.