Environmentalism --> Terrorism

Mouse

IS it possible that Environmentalism can become terrorism?

Becos in a way, Environmentalism seems to resemble religion minus all the rituals and stuff. But however, like religion it seems it's like a philosophy.etc. And misinterpreted it could become like extremism. I look from it from a negative perspective, it makes humans look like the enemy of everything natural. From a positive, humans are part of the natural system.

Discuss.

There have been criminal acts performed by groups claiming to be environmental champions. Is this going to happen in general? No. Is it possible? Yes. There are well known instances of criminal acts. Would I call them terrorism? No. The crimes attracted attention, but did not instill terror into people.

Terrorism has absolutely nothing to do with religion or fundamentalism.

Anyone with any kind of motive can be a terrorist. Terrorism is nothing but the disruption of society. If someone liberates a bull from a farm and lets the animal loose in a town center, it's definitely terrorism... much more so in fact than the religious warfare which occurs in Afghanistan.

So, yes, sure, terrorists can come from anywhere. And they don't necessarily kill people.

Becos in a way, Environmentalism seems to resemble religion minus all the rituals and stuff. But however, like religion it seems it's like a philosophy.etc. And misinterpreted it could become like extremism. I look from it from a negative perspective, it makes humans look like the enemy of everything natural. From a positive, humans are part of the natural system.

Discuss.

Environmentalism is not like religion. Unlike religion, tenets of environmentalism can be proved or disproved by science.

Crime; Is basically an act, against some law of that society, deemed abnormal. I like to use 'limitations' to an act, that under certain circumstances would not be a crime. To best explain this, Murder (killing of another person) is an illegal act in all society, but in some it's considered justifiable for various reasons, not necessarily in others.

Terrorism is really quite simple;

Terrorism is the use of violence, especially murder and bombing, in order to achieve political aims or to force a government to do something. [/Quote]

http://www.google.com/dictionary?aq=f&langpair=en%7Cen&hl=en&q=terrorism

Where the conflict enters the picture, is the difference between 'Domestic' and where from foreign influence is involved. US Law, cannot dictate the definition of law or terrorism, outside their own territory, which is always different and very different under some.

Almost all 'Organized Environmental Groups', violent or peaceful, are domestic (in the US or country organized) and will always be classified Crimes, even if the purpose is to incite terror, which is and has always been an illegal act, endangerment of the public and/or other laws, such as destruction of property, murder and so on...

Becos in a way, Environmentalism seems to resemble religion minus all the rituals and stuff. But however, like religion it seems it's like a philosophy.etc. And misinterpreted it could become like extremism. I look from it from a negative perspective, it makes humans look like the enemy of everything natural. From a positive, humans are part of the natural system. [/Quote]

Mouse; From my opinion, I would suggest no. Environmentalism, even to extremism in viewpoints, is not illegal. We all have some opinions/ideas outside the norm, never acted on. When and if they do involve actions and those actions break law, it's those laws that the person(s) will answer to, not their ideas/opinions. Remember even a mild protest, a march or demonstration in most every jurisdiction, requires a permit, which if not obtained becomes a crime.

Terrorism has absolutely nothing to do with religion or fundamentalism. [/Quote]

CaptainPanic; I don't think 'Mouse' was saying environmentalism, was a religion, rather the believers of some issue, take on a philosophical meaning of their belief, justifying their rhetoric or action.

Becos in a way, Environmentalism seems to resemble religion minus all the rituals and stuff. But however, like religion it seems it's like a philosophy.etc. [/Quote]