The action of frying food...

Externet

Hi.

If there is doubt on how fresh food is, say meat, fish... the best is to discard it and avoid any food poisoning.

But, if some meat is in a state that by mistake is believed to be good; would having fried it kill all microorganisms that would produce a digestive illness ?

I say frying instead of boiling, baking because I believe it would raise the temperature to the highest 'action'.

What would happen ingesting very fried food that was not 'good' ? :confused:

First I am going to preface this with the following statement. I am by no means a trained medical professional, and my advice should not be taken as such. If you at any point feel that you have contracted an illness or disease contact a local health care professional. Only a train doctor, not me on the Internet, can properly diagnose and treat an illness.

With that said I feel that the safety of meat or poultry depends not so much on the method of cooking, but the proper and complete cooking of the item. Most food that is not cook specifies an internal temperature that the meat or poultry must reach before being safe to eat. If this temperature and other cooking procedures are followed I would not be to worried about a food born illness.

If for some reason the meat or poultry was not properly prepared any number of food born illnesses is possible ranging from ecoli to botulism.

Again, I am going to preface this with the following statement. I am by no means a trained medical professional, and my advice should not be taken as such. If you at any point feel that you have contracted an illness or disease contact a local health care professional. Only a train doctor, not me on the Internet, can properly diagnose and treat an illness.

bacterial degradation pre cooking can leave harmful toxins that may not be eliminated by cooking.

at best this just means the food tastes awful, at worst it could kill you if consume enough of it.

on the plus side, if properly cooked, you won't get a microbial caused illness, just poisoned.

bacterial degradation pre cooking can leave harmful toxins that may not be eliminated by cooking.

at best this just means the food tastes awful, at worst it could kill you if consume enough of it.

on the plus side, if properly cooked, you won't get a microbial caused illness, just poisoned.

Indeed this is true, though it is more commonly thought of as a problem with fungi leaving the toxic chemicals however bacteria can form endospores which are highly resistant to destruction.

• 1 month later...

NOT MEDICAL ADVICE

hmm yeah endospores would be a definite thing to worry about BUT if the bacteria were killed, your body could possibly give rise to memory cells that could actually protect you in a secondary immune response, if you were to get infected with a live version it would be shorter lived. =p

But of course that is if there are any antigens left after cooking, Im not so sure on that part.

• 3 months later...

I worked in commercial kitchen for some years.

English regs state the all cooked food must be cooked through @ 75 degrees celcius or above in order to kill dangerous microbial life (In Scotland the regs say 84 degrees, Scotish bugs must be hardier?!) Steak is exempt, you can have it brought to your table raw if you wish.

Edited by tomgwyther

• 2 months later...

Hi.. digestive illnesses mainly happen due to bacteria... for example u intake millions of bacteria day by day.... but if u intake a meat which is rotten u get some problems.. the reason why is because of the number of bacteria.. if the number increases the rate of infection too increases.... therefore it is wiser to cook it.... but in ur example if u mistakenly identify that a meat is fresh and if u cook.. ur question was will all the bacteria get killed by cooking.. Actually this cant be answered..this depends on what bacteria it has.. if the meat has weak micro organisms that can be killed by heat, it wud be alrit..but if they have special coating layers and cudnt destroy them, them of course, u may get infections..

And also consider if u kill all the micro organisms.. but yet, there are toxins which were produced by the earlier micro-organisms... thse toxins canot be removed by cooking..therefore toxins too contribute in making infections.... hope this helped.. :) have a nice day.. :)

My blog: http://globaltutor.blogspot.com/