Vacuum Polarization space propulsion.

Peron

its not as bad as it is outstandingly vague, you compressed a very touchy physical property like a vacuum into a leap of scientific faith by having it all in one short sentence. So it's not so much that it isn't a valid thought, it very well might be it is just that you haven't really extrapolated your idea to the point where other people may interject their opinions or questions. I mean hell I really have no idea what you are talking about and if I addressed it I would be stabbing in the dark at what I think you mean.

If the vacuum is polarized around a object, it can lead to a repulsion force. Could a spacecraft polarize the vacuum around itself and use this as a propulsion device?

Interesting question. In my opinion, the vacuum can certainly be used for propulsion. What if I told you that the vacuum is already providing energy for propulsion? I know. You would not believe it. However, have you ever wondered why two bodies in relative inertial motion stay in motion? No, it's not because of momentum. Momentum is just the abstract description of the phenomenon. The truth is that bodies remain in motion because of the energy in the vacuum.

If you truly want to use the vacuum for propulsion, you must first understand the properties of the vacuum, and in order to do that, you must first understand the true fundamental nature of motion. Once you do, you will also know that Aristotle was right about the causality of motion, that the universe is discrete and that, as a result, we are immersed in an immense lattice of energetic particles. No lattice = no motion.

Physics: The Problem with Motion

• 2 weeks later...
its not as bad as it is outstandingly vague, you compressed a very touchy physical property like a vacuum into a leap of scientific faith by having it all in one short sentence. So it's not so much that it isn't a valid thought, it very well might be it is just that you haven't really extrapolated your idea to the point where other people may interject their opinions or questions. I mean hell I really have no idea what you are talking about and if I addressed it I would be stabbing in the dark at what I think you mean.

Sorry about not explaining as much as I should have.

Vacuum polarization is an important effect in effectively reducing the charge on a particle. The reduction is dependent on distance and hence on the energy scale.

The term Vacuum Polarization is descriptive of the effect. A charged particle will polarize the vacuum in a way analogous to the way a dielectric is polarized. A virtual electron positron pair in the vacuum will be affected by the charge. If the original charged source is a nucleus for example, the virtual electron will be attracted and the virtual positron repelled, causing a net polarization of the vacuum which screens the nuclear charge.

http://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node512.html

Vacuum polarization can lead to degeneracy pressure, which causes repulsion. Since, this effect can move objects, I was wondering how you can make a space drive using this effect to move your spaceship.