Genetic Code Construction

AtomicMX

About the researches that have been made how much can we manipulate the genetic code to construct things? such as a monkey of 3 arms, or genetic code mixing.. how much of this is posible.

Can the genetic code of diferent kingdoms of life be mixed?

I cant wait until the day when genetic engineering (more than just splicing pieces and all) is possible. I'll be mostly a horticulturist. A fierce horticulturist. I will make plants that look beautiful, but could kick your butt. I'll also make animals that can photosynthesize. (i don't know if that is possible, but i think it would be with lower maitenence organisms, or if it was done while an animal sleeps, and stores like a battery). Ohh i'd also create a Shiva woman (the hindu goddess with four arms). Maybe that would be unethical though . . . .

• 1 month later...

All right, we made a new species of bacteria,crops and so forth.

But these organisms in fact do not have a very complicated genom.

Take the genom of a monkey or a rat, it'll take a while until we are done with the whole analysis of the genetic material of monkeys.

By the way: Why should men create new(absolute useless) species? I have serious concerns about this, ethically!

• 1 month later...
I cant wait until the day when genetic engineering (more than just splicing pieces and all) is possible. I'll be mostly a horticulturist. A fierce horticulturist. I will make plants that look beautiful, but could kick your butt. I'll also make animals that can photosynthesize. (i don't know if that is possible, but i think it would be with lower maitenence organisms, or if it was done while an animal sleeps, and stores like a battery). Ohh i'd also create a Shiva woman (the hindu goddess with four arms). Maybe that would be unethical though . . . .

ever read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley or Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I wouldnt be so keen on genetic engineering if I was you.

edit: you can call them fiction if you want, but they nevertheless represent frightening dystopias