Air as an insulator

Mukilab

Why does air act as such an effective insulator? Does heat have to 'adapt' or something when it passes through different materials? Are the particles too spread out for good kinetic energy and then heat?

Edited by swansont
make new thread, snip irrelevant material

What about the rule of thumb for electricity?

Since electricity is just a flow of electrons any compound or element with tightly held electrons will act as an insulator as the element will impede the flow of electrons. For example polytetrafluoroethylene is an good insulator because the Fluorine holds its electrons so well.

Since electricity is just a flow of electrons any compound or element with tightly held electrons will act as an insulator as the element will impede the flow of electrons. For example polytetrafluoroethylene is an good insulator because the Fluorine holds its electrons so well.

Ok, what do people mean by saying Fluorine is the most versatile element because of it's EN negativity?

Ok, what do people mean by saying Fluorine is the most versatile element because of it's EN negativity?

I have never heard anyone say that, and cannot think of why they would say that. Fluorine both in its elemental form and ionic form is highly toxic. The high electronegativity makes it incredibly reactive. However, if I was to give the most versatile element I would have to go with carbon as carbon forms strong covalent bonds with many different elements.

I actually saw several people say that on a thread here ^^

By the way, Merry Christmas! Just got my presents :D

Thank you for the well wishes, hope your Christmas was good. Do you by chance know which thread that was mentioned in, I am interested in seeing the person's reasoning.

Maybe thinking of another forum? Using the search, just one thread contains the words "fluorine + negativity". But the word "versatile" isn't found in any combination of those.

Yeah I could not find any threads like the one Mukilab was suggesting when I ran searches either. That is why I ask him where he found it.